First Archery Elk Harvest?

• Bull

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • Spike

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Cow

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters
Called in a 5x5. A few cows came in and got within a couple yards of me before busting out, but stopped him for a shot at 40 yards. Heart shot :) My first two were with a rifle, and I've taken bigger bulls with bow, but nothing beats that first archery bull :)

It was the second to last day of Washingtons late archery season. Raghorn rosie bull. Love at first sight. In love ever since.

bohntr

WKR
My first elk over 20 years ago......a 6x6 P&Y bull:

1993AZBull.jpg

Vandal 44

WKR
My First elk with a bow was a cow 20 plus years. After that I haven't picked up a rifle, every animal that I have taken after that has been with my bow.

BTH

FNG
My first elk was a rag horn opening day October 10, 1999 with my rifle, first archery bull was opening day August 30, 2002 5x7. Still never shot a cow to this day

Flipping Cali guys, those two are like locusts!

My first elk was a CO Bull shot at 5 yds with a longbow as he was walking running by me. I called him in, but he didn't stop.

ridgefire

WKR
6x6 Idaho public land archery bull. my brother and cousin were screwing around with their calls and called it in for me. they didn't know I killed it till I started hollering. it just stood there after I hit it for a few seconds and then tipped over. will always be fresh in my mind.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rodney are they twice as heavy when you can only use one leg? Sad thing is here the mature bulls are easier to find than spikes. I've have put plenty of work in on hunting them

ktowncamo

WKR
In my first year of archery elk (2009) I missed a nice mature 6x6 at 50 yards and hit a cow at 55 in the shoulder...watched her run over a mile and didn't find a drop of blood. The next year I dropped this guy on a 10 yard shot and watched him tip over 40 yards away.

kendall-first-elk-pose.jpg

Dropped a cow in almost the same spot 6 weeks later with my bow on an antlerless tag. The freezer was full that first year of success.

yhudson

FNG
I have the euro in my garage hanging for most to see. I took my first elk hunting with my dad MANY years ago. It was rifle season and I had scouted hard and long to learn the elk patterns. I had found a remote meadow several good bulls would frequent and was overly excited when opening day came.

At first light elk were in the meadow and I picked what I thought was the largest among them. I made a good shot and the elk a few steps and dropped. Running across the field I couldn't wait to get my hands on the bull. The bull is still very much of a trophy to me, but I can still feel my reaction to seeing his broken 5 x 2 rack. He had been a decent 6x6 at one time... but had his butt throttled by a much larger bull.

I now carry much better optics and only hunt when drawn in the archery season.

strawhunt

FNG
Still trying for my first archery elk, I got my first cow 2 years ago with a rifle. The last day of season this year I was 60 yards from a pair of cows at first light but no shot then 2 hours later i was 30 yards from a bull couldnt get a point count and never had a good shot in the swirling winds. 2014 is my year though!