Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65mm Spotter semi-live review

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Anymore updates on this little spotter Robby? Looking at reviews of used spotters in my price point and this one came up. Any opinions on how it compares to a vortex razor gen 1(16-48x65)? I've only ever looked through a gen 2 razor.

I’m still using it. The glass will be better than the gen 1 Vortex. FOV might not be as good as the Vortex but I’m only guessing as that is the weak spot in this Zeiss. But man the 42 ounces is sure nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Considering upgrading my spotter. I have a vanguard 65 right now. How would this compare? Or what else would it compare to optically? I really like the idea of a lightweight spotter. The field of view kind of concerns me, to bad you can’t swap the eyepiece for a wide angle.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Considering upgrading my spotter. I have a vanguard 65 right now. How would this compare? Or what else would it compare to optically? I really like the idea of a lightweight spotter. The field of view kind of concerns me, to bad you can’t swap the eyepiece for a wide angle.

Hi. As I don’t have the vanguard, I can only guess that the Zeiss glass in This one is better. If you get by Idaho Falls, hit me up and I’ll let you look through this one.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Hi. As I don’t have the vanguard, I can only guess that the Zeiss glass in This one is better. If you get by Idaho Falls, hit me up and I’ll let you look through this one.

I appreciate the offer, but I rarely make it out of Canada. I would hope the Zeiss glass would be better, the vanguard is good but not great.

Jfasher

Lil-Rokslider

I'm trying to figure out this quote thing on here so what I quoted isn't exactly what I wanted. Any how since you have use this spotter and the Swarovski CT if you were to purchase one now which one would it be?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning how would you compare it to the razor gen ll and the Leupold gold ring? Which one would you prefer for low light performance? Thanks
Wish I could say, haven’t got to run either of those competitors. Low light is pretty good, but as I said earlier, there is not equal performance across all the powers in this Zeiss. About mid range is best. With a few more years on it since I wrote this, I’d say it’s a good scope If you don’t have to pay retail. Much easier to pack than the bigger scopes but doesn’t perform at top tier level across all powers. It’s a “trade-off” scope.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I could say, haven’t got to run either of those competitors. Low light is pretty good, but as I said earlier, there is not equal performance across all the powers in this Zeiss. About mid range is best. With a few more years on it since I wrote this, I’d say it’s a good scope If you don’t have to pay retail. Much easier to pack than the bigger scopes but doesn’t perform at top tier level across all powers. It’s a “trade-off” scope.
Awesome Robby that actually helps me out a lot. Getting ready to upgrade from my razor and looking at that next step up in glass. Maven S1, swaro ats, meopta s2 etc. thanks for the input

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome Robby that actually helps me out a lot. Getting ready to upgrade from my razor and looking at that next step up in glass. Maven S1, swaro ats, meopta s2 etc. thanks for the input
Prolly Swaro ATS is your best bet if money don’t matter. Maven s1 is good! no experience with the Meopta. If you get through Idaho Falls, holler, you can come checkout this Zeiss.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
Prolly Swaro ATS is your best bet if money don’t matter. Maven s1 is good! no experience with the Meopta. If you get through Idaho Falls, holler, you can come checkout this Zeiss
I’m on that new dad budget so I am going to try and find a good used one in the classifieds haha if I get out that way I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
That’s good to hear your still using it. I haven’t been able to find a good deal on one, and retail is over 2000$can. Not sure it’s worth that much.
do you prefer it over the Nikon ed50 that you reviewed? That’s the scope I’ve been using the past 2 seasons.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s good to hear your still using it. I haven’t been able to find a good deal on one, and retail is over 2000$can. Not sure it’s worth that much.
do you prefer it over the Nikon ed50 that you reviewed? That’s the scope I’ve been using the past 2 seasons.
the Nikon is pretty sweet but the Zeiss is better, FOV and brightness. but the Nikon kills it in the weight savings, no comparison at all. Ran the Nikon just last week.

What are you looking to pay for a good used Zeiss?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
the Nikon is pretty sweet but the Zeiss is better, FOV and brightness. but the Nikon kills it in the weight savings, no comparison at all. Ran the Nikon just last week.

What are you looking to pay for a good used Zeiss?
From what I’ve seen, around 1000usd. That’s what I’ve found for ones that sold in the classifieds here and other sites.

Jasper_AK

FNG
Update. I’ve got quite a bit of scouting time on this scope and decided it would fit the bill for this backcounty hunt I’m on this week because of the pros listed below outweighed the cons:

Pros:
-At 42 ounces, it works with the KDC Granite Peak tripod. Saves me a few pounds of tripod in the pack. My Swarovskis are either too long (CT) and pick up the wind, or too heavy for this tripod
-the lower end of 18x makes the FOV nice for picking up bucks I’ve seen in the binos
-good clarity in center even to 45x

Cons:
-clarity at edges suffers
-the focus ring is on the objective end and is a little awkward to reach and way to hard to turn
d2b1ffa27da7bf5358d10fec38ff4bc2.jpg
e861ae79d29d9d1bd5f6166e6184a28a.jpg

1802b7c789cb9968a25aa68c8312124f.jpg

I’m looking to purchase a tripod for a dialyt, wondering if you still recommend the ultralight KDC tripod dialyt combo?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m looking to purchase a tripod for a dialyt, wondering if you still recommend the ultralight KDC tripod dialyt combo?

Yeah it’ll work, it’s not ideal as I mentioned in my post but if you’re not spending a ton of time looking through your spotter, i.e. only checking bucks you found in your binos, it’ll work. My KDC still going strong all these years later. Had to put a little WD-40 on the ball as it was getting choppy, but that fixed it. If you look at our 2021 best of article from our staff, the KDC made the list again.