Bows Optimized for Short Draw Length

jaredlef

FNG
Hi all - I've gotten a lot of great information reading the forums over the past few months. I finally have a question:

While I've been blessed in many ways, my draw length is unfortunately not one of them. I started shooting archery about a year ago and I'm using a Mission Ballistic set at 70# draw weight and 26" draw length. I shoot an Easton Axis 400 with a 100 gr Slick Trick for a total arrow weight of 405 gr and 12% FOC. Haven't sent one through a chrono but that's a calculated velocity of 273 fps and decent kinetic energy (around 63 ft lbs).

I hunt whitetail and turkey and my current setup has worked fine for this; however, I'm planning an elk hunt in a few years and I don't think this arrow weight and speed is viable.

What bow manufacturers have bows that are optimized for short draw lengths? I've heard of Xpedition (the SD bows), are there any others out there?

Alternately, what are ways that guys with shorter draw lengths have overcome this challenge? Am I stuck shooting a lighter arrow, or do I shoot a heavier arrow and take a hit in velocity? Look into bows with 80# limbs and work up to that?

Thanks!

I can speak Directly to you brother. I am a 26.5 draw. Let me tell you, I have always shot Hoyt and Mathews. The last 4 year shooting the Hoyt Carbon Element. My buddy who just bought a proshop told me to shoot the expedition SD. The bow was design for 25" to 26.5" ONLY. It is 33.25 inches and 6 inch BH. This bow shoots light freak out. I was going to test it ONLY but I bought it. I will admit, I had to get used to the draw cycle. It draws like an elite and if you have ever shot an Elite and Hoyt side by side, they are VERY different.

My bows I would recommend you shoot. (all with 6" BH because of your draw - you will not know the difference)
1. eXpedition SD
2. Elite Impulse 31
3. Hoyt Defiant Turbo

In terms of arrows. You can have a lot of options.
In 400 Spine - you can shoot a heavier arrow (like FMJ)
You can also go with a 350 Black Eagle, and run 75gran brass up front and 125gr BH. FOC and weight will be exactly where you want it.
GT Kaos Kinetic is a good option
Or, go with what you have. Women with much less weight and draw kill elk.

This year, I killed a cow elk with a 405grn arrow and the arrow never checked up....passthru like it was shooing paper. I have shot elk with 400Gr to 430GR. I think you are fine but you can go heavier if you so chose.

PS: I am currently getting 278fps out of the eXpedition SD at 63 pounds with a 400Gr arrow. I will hunt with 66-70 pounds.

Last edited:
BTW, that mission will not get that speed if you put it on a Chrono...my guess is nowhere near it...you might cry if you knew the real speed of that bow.

three5x5s

WKR
I have the Xpedition SD also. I shoot the Easton Injection deep six arrows w/ 100 grain Solids broadheads. or ACC 3-28s w/ 85 grain Wac"em,the small diameter are said to have more penitration, but i cant prove they do. I shoot 56 pounds 26DL. Total arrow weights 357. For elk I shoot a Easton ACC 3-39 w/ 50 gran insert with 100 grain Sliver Flames broadheads. I think they weight about 400. You wont gain as much goin from 70# to 80 as you think. And 80 will much harder to shoot when you are cold or in a bad position. I havent shot an elk but, I do my part on white tails I shoot thru. Obsession makes some fast bow that go down to 26DL. But I havent shoot thier new stuff.
If you decide you want an Xpedition SD shoot me a PM.

I'll bet you're in the 230s with your current setup. I went through the same thing with my T-Rex arms as well. I shot a bunch of bows, and learned a lot about the engineering of the cams in the process.
First, if a bow uses the same cam, and just changes mods, it's going to become less and less efficient as you move below the 30" draw it was designed for. My Matthews Chill R (71 lbs, 27", 395gr arrow) was shooting 245! I grabbed the Hoyt CST ZT I have now, and shot the same arrow at 296. Hoyt makes several cam sizes, that then use mods to change exact DL. I think mine go 26-28. Obsession also changes cam sizes in the Fusion, but you have to order the exact DL cam you need, because they can't adjust with mods. Bowtech did ok for me (286 with that same setup), I believe the new BT-X has a smaller cam size, it should be plenty quick at short DLs. In summary, make a list of the bows that change cam size to get to a shorter DL. If you can, take one of your arrows with you and shoot them through a chrony when you go shopping. Pick the ones that are efficient/fast, then pick the one you like the feel of most. Hoyt, the Bowtech BT-X, and Obsession Fusions should be a good start. Sounds like the Xpedition SD would be a good one to try as well.

MattB

WKR
Hoyt has various cam sizes depending on draw length ranges, so they are mindful of optimizing energy storage based on DL.

Cojaq

FNG
I noticed I'm a little late to this convo, but I figured what the hell. I have been shooting for over 20 years and have a 25.5" DL. So maybe I can add a little to this. Truth is, you will have to learn the limits of your particular set up. Any set up you choose will be limited by shorter draw length. I shoot a 435 gr arrow at 70 lbs. and get just shy of 230 fps. I shoot either slick tricks or cutthroats. Single bevel is probably the best bet for big tough animals such as elk. On deer, well a slick trick does great. Not to say it doesn't work on elk either, but better safe than sorry. The next thing is the effective range. It is limited as well. I won't push past 60 yds. It's just not a good idea. I have plenty of experience with this too. Lost a couple to no penetration after hitting bone. I try to get very close before I make the decision to shoot. Oh, and one more thing. No mechanical's on elk EVER! If you can't get the arrow to achieve fps above 250-260 then you're taking a big risk of deflection on bone or even worse, not having the broadhead deploy. I managed to piss off a very respectable 6X6 @ less than 30 yds. My arrow smacked him in the ribs and never got past them. I watched him feeding with some cows 2 days later. Anyway, It's really just coming to terms with having a short draw length and planning accordingly. Get close and make good shots. Hope this has helped.

I've been shooting a Bowtech BTX28 for a little over a year. I was shooting 26" then figured if I went to a thumb release, I'd pick up another inch.
Works fine, now at 27" and 64lbs, shooting 429 grains at about 260fps.
Easy draw on the Comfort draw setting and good trajectory out to 40...I can shoot 50 confidently but the arrow is really dropping at that point.
Anyway, really like this setup for my short draw physique.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have short arms too. 26” dl.

You just have to shoot them, seems like most of the high end stuff still gets you where you need.

It sucks. I have a defiant I run at 70lbs and am pushing 450g 265fps. Got a triax this year, which imo is a great bow for a short draw guy, and it’s pushing the same arrow basically the same speed, at 270fps.

Don’t get caught up in it too much.

I'm shooting a Triax with 25" mods (measures 25 5/8" on a draw board. At 71lbs i'm getting 273fps with 375 grain total arrow weight. I shot several top of the line bows and the Triax was most comfortable for me.

I’ll pitch in here since I shoot 25” draw. Still shooting my old 2007 Bowtech Equalizer. At the time it was one of the better short draw bows. I haven’t even looked at new bows in several years but I have been hoping that some great options would pop up for short draw bows. I shoot 60lbs. Are y’all having any issues getting those short arrows to tune coming out of a 70lb bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad873

FNG
Sorry to keep bringing up an old thread, but has anyone shot the Elite 31 with it set at it's shortest DL? I'm wondering how it compares to the Hoyt Powermax for speed and forgiveness at a 25.5 - 26" DL? I don't have a dealer that carries Elites near me, but if I can get some good info I may make the 2 hour drive to shoot one. Also, 26" may be a little too long of a draw for me. The Powermax at 25.5" was good. Another .5" may have me too extended.

fordnut

FNG
I gave a 26.5 DL. Got a PSE evolve 31. Shooting 500gr arrow 250 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk