I know a lot about guns but I don't know shit about bows.

I’m usually one to suggest used, but I think not knowing anything about bows, it would be beneficial to have the support of an archery shop to help you through it. Buying used is great if you know what you like and know how to set up a bow and tune it… and get the nock height correct, get your rest set up right, peep tied into the right spot and tied in correctly, etc, etc

I say buy new, or used from a reputable shop in your area that you can drive too without a lot of hassle, it will be 100% worth it on your first compound, and be honest with them, tell them you are green and want to learn everything you need to, and get a bow dialed in for you

Buying someone else’s tuned bow off the internet will likely be a mess for you, just buying a bow on the internet bare would be tough to get started on the right foot

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Thanks for all the input, please keep it coming.

What time of year is the best to find good prices on last years bows?

Zac

WKR
If you knew what you were doing then buying used is a great option. For you I would establish a relationship with a shop. Buy your first bow and accessories from them. This will ensure you get off to a good start, and will help when you need assistance in the future. Usually you will get a free setup and tune with a new rig. Buying used you get charged for everything and usually end up needing new strings and cables as well. Anyway if you do go the used route I would only buy Mathew’s, especially if you get a fairly old model.

The darton consequence, new for this year, is getting excellent reviews, and is under your budget. Not a flagship, and no speed demon, but has a lot to offer in what is described as a very comfortable, smooth- drawing bow. Darton will also ship directly to you.

I was in your shoes a few months ago and bought a mathews v3x of a member here. Great bow, with lots of adjustment I've since found I prefer a slightly longer bow, and have purchased 2 PSEs. All bows I've bought have been used, from members here or on Archery Talk.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Totally forgot about that Darton offering. That is an incredible deal.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently bought a used bow off ArcheryTalk. I love it. Spent more on the accessories then the bow. Figure I can always move the accessories to another bow if need be...

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I buy all my bows used, and typically spend 50-60% of retail for a 1-2 year old bow, so I'm biased in that direction.

$800 budget for a bare bow is plenty. I've seen dealers on FB selling new old stock for $600-700 lately.

Hard to do though if you don't know what you're looking at, or have the ability and tools (bow press) to set it up and work on it yourself. Finding a good shop would work, or someone in your area that is knowledgeable, has the tools, and is willing to help. I started working on my own stuff because I got frustrated with the service I was getting at the shop, and it's annoying to drive to the shop when all I need is to put a twist in my string.

I've seen a lot of people make mistakes buying used bows by overpaying for something that has wore out strings, doesn't fit (have to buy additional mods/cams). If you go the used route, post up what you're looking at here and we can help out (if you don't find someone local).

The conventional wisdom is to go shoot a bunch of bows and pick the one that "feels" best. Not necessarily bad advice, but I don't follow it myself. Like mentioned above, if it's not set to your specs, you can throw feel out the window. Being new, it's also hard to know what you like in a bow. Feel at 5ft with a bare bow doesn't always translate exactly to how a bow aims and holds fully rigged out. What "feels" the best shooting at 5ft isn't always what groups the best downrange.

Beendare

WKR
I’m usually one to suggest used, but I think not knowing anything about bows, it would be beneficial to have the support of an archery shop to help you through it. Buying used is great if you know what you like and know how to set up a bow and tune it… and get the nock height correct, get your rest set up right, peep tied into the right spot and tied in correctly, etc, etc

I say buy new, or used from a reputable shop in your area that you can drive too without a lot of hassle, it will be 100% worth it on your first compound, and be honest with them, tell them you are green and want to learn everything you need to, and get a bow dialed in for you

Buying someone else’s tuned bow off the internet will likely be a mess for you, just buying a bow on the internet bare would be tough to get started on the right foot
👆🏼Thats what I would have said about purchasing a bow

a couple points; Archery is about developing good alignment and form…otherwise you can develop bad habits that will bite you later. Its less about the actual equipment. Then learn to tune for perfect arrow flight.

Bowhunting is about taking that good form and developing a fast efficient shot process that works in the field- one shot for all the marbles. You are inside that animals comfort zone with a bow….you typically won’t have time to nuzzle into your rifle stock; get to anchor with good form…pick a tiny spot and execute a good shot.

_jeff_

FNG
Right now is a good time to buy. New models just hit stores so they’re selling last years at discounts, or everyone is selling their bows in the classifieds because Mathews told them they need a new bow every single year.

_jeff_

FNG
I also agree with the above though and say you should go to a local archery shop. When I got my first bow they spent a while setting it up for me and taught me how to shoot. I stayed on their indoor range for a couple hours shooting with them helping me out or answering any questions. They didn’t charge me for anything but the bow and arrows I bought.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
I appreciate the advise. I have decided to go new, using a local shop. Now all I need is time.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to learn something new and I got a used bow from a buddy. Took it to the archery shop to make sure it was to go.

I highly recommend going to a good bow shop with good staff and considering joining an archery club.

I'm the president of my local Rod, Gun and Archery club and any time I get to the range when the old guys are shooting, I learn something new. It's great if you can take the chirping and chirp back.