ISO Youth bow ideas with smooth draw

spdrman

WKR
Shopping for a bow for my 11 soon to be 12 year old, he has a xpedition xperience right now. He shot it last year at 40 pounds just fine but this year his draw length grew 2.5” and now the weight stacks up to much and he cannot pull 40 at all.

His 9 year old brother has the same bow and at the shorter draw length they can both get 40 pounds back no problem. Hoping my younger boys arms don’t get to much longer buy hunting season or I might have the same issues with him.

Looking for recommendations on bows with a milder cam that I can hopefully get him pulling 40 at his draw length again, his draw is getting long enough (25”) I can start getting him into some adult bows.

And for fun here’s a picture of him and his younger brother with his first archery kill last season

IMG_6371.jpeg

How far from 40# is he currently pulling at the new draw weight? I’m assuming 40# is a state DNR restriction. Because I’m betting he is shooting faster at the lower weight with 2.5” of draw.

FWIW, my 11yr old is shooting a Mission Versa and it seems to have a very smooth cam. Every draw length increase, he loses 5lbs or so, but can get that 5lbs back within a couple months of regular shooting plus he’ll never outgrow the Versa. He buys his next bow!

At 25” you’re almost into adult bow range. In my experience Bowtech has some of the smoothest draw cycles out there. You might peruse last years models for one that goes down to that poundage and draw and look for one used. The Infinite edge (or its successor) is commonly recommended if you go new and with good reason. It had broad draw weight and poundage adjustment. New or used they should be everywhere as they’ve been around awhile.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
How far from 40# is he currently pulling at the new draw weight? I’m assuming 40# is a state DNR restriction. Because I’m betting he is shooting faster at the lower weight with 2.5” of draw.

FWIW, my 11yr old is shooting a Mission Versa and it seems to have a very smooth cam. Every draw length increase, he loses 5lbs or so, but can get that 5lbs back within a couple months of regular shooting plus he’ll never outgrow the Versa. He buys his next bow!
Yes the 40# is our state restriction, he's at 35 pounds right now and after about 20 shots he starts to struggle getting it back, I have a 40# recurve I shot a couple deer and a bear with, I guarantee he's pushing out my energy with his current setup than that recurve ever did but dont want to risk getting a ticket for being a couple pounds under.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
At 25” you’re almost into adult bow range. In my experience Bowtech has some of the smoothest draw cycles out there. You might peruse last years models for one that goes down to that poundage and draw and look for one used. The Infinite edge (or its successor) is commonly recommended if you go new and with good reason. It had broad draw weight and poundage adjustment. New or used they should be everywhere as they’ve been around awhile.
Thanks, we tried a Bowtech solution SD with him yesterday, I thought for sure their comfort mode was exactly what I needed for him but he still struggled with it. Im off this week and school is finally out for the summer so think we are going to go hit all the bow shops around and try everything we can get our hands on. Trying to narrow down which brands to go hit first, the Bowtech Solution he tried yesterday was just another kids at a 3D shoot, draw length was a touch too long still. he might just need one at his draw length.