Tent Tarp Stratospire 2 modification

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
So I picked up this Stratospire 2 a while back for a steal. I really liked it but I couldn't get past the two carbon rods on each side. I know they serve a purpose adding space to the interior. I wanted a tarp that was truly packable that I didn't have to fold/roll a certain way to get it back in the bag. I wanted to be able to stuff it and go.

The carbon rods built into the tarp were the only things preventing this. So after a few minutes of head scratching, I folded the carbon rods up into the tent and retentioned everything. Presto! I lost about 2" of height but not a big deal. I broke out the box of hemming pins, took it into my thread poker, and went to town. The transition went from this:

To this:

It now sets up crazy fast and stuffs into its stuff sack even faster. I haven't weighed the finished product but it's super light! I also sewed the stuff sack onto the inside of the front door so now there's no worry of losing it. I removed the bungee from the stake loops and now stake directly through the D loops. I can now stake the tarp all the way to the ground. I also sewed in four extra D loops for extra stake downs if the weather requires it. I really like the asymmetrical design and all of the door options.

I got rid of the floor and bug net and pitched it with My Black Diamond Carbon FLZ poles. I of course did loose some interior room but since this is a solo set up it was not an issue. The wall angles are now steeper which is good. It will shed snow/water even better. I'm not sure what silnylon Tarp Tent uses but it's incredibly strong. I took a scrap cut off and tried and tried to tear it. It won't budge. I'm loving it!

There might be a stove jack and cylinder stove in the future!

You couldn't get it back in the bag?

wtf065.gif

Last edited:

slick

WKR
You couldn't get it back in the bag?

He never mentioned he couldn't get it back in the sack. Why the need to be a goon? He modified a tarp to better work for his use and was sharing an idea that someone else might find useful.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Maybe I misread this: I know they serve a purpose adding space to the interior. I wanted a tarp that was truly packable that I didn't have to fold/roll a certain way to get it back in the bag.

It is my understanding the those tensioners prevent the wall of the tent from touching the nest. Any touching results in condensation issues inside the nest. No nest-no problem but...

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
It is my understanding the those tensioners prevent the wall of the tent from touching the nest. Any touching results in condensation issues inside the nest. No nest-no problem but...[/QUOTE]

No nest so no problems. Thanks Bruce!