Salomon Quest 4D didn't work- something similar?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like a locked in heel, relatively snug midfoot and roomy toebox, very few boots offer this for some reason

The Lowa Ticam II also has a great reputation for this style of fit, and is a little less stiff than the cevedale.

I should have mentioned this one in my earlier post as well.

Quest 4ds work for me, but if I wasn't in them, I would likely be in the Ticams.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks, I'll add them to the list to check out- they are heavier than what I was shooting for, but I would gladly accept a little extra weight for fit! :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ someone else suggested the Wyomings as well , definitely look like a well made boot- glad I have 10 months before elk season :D

vdeal

FNG
If you want a wide toe box forget the Renegades. Wore them for years and never could get enough toe room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a wide toe box forget the Renegades. Wore them for years and never could get enough toe room.

This comment just goes to show how subjective our evaluations are with boots. I consider Renegades too wide and would have thought they were a wide toe box boot. Goes to show what I know. :D

vdeal

FNG
Compared to the 4D's they are narrower. I've worn both.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the 4D's were just roomy enough for me, any less and they would have been a no go (well they turned out to be a no go for different reason :D)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I called Zamberlan today asking about the 996 and 960; she stated that Zamberlan was known for wide toe boxes and that both were constructed from the same last. She said the 960 would be more form fitting than the 996 due to it's construction, but shouldn't impact the roominess of the toe box.

She also said that if we had a Sportsman Warehouse they carried the Leopard which is also the same last; not sure ours has them, but will check. The REI in Missoula (and Bozeman) don't have either Zamberlan at their stores; no Mountain Trainers either- no need to have mountain worthy boots in Montana??? WTF?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Missoula REI does have the Caminos, be able to try that one anyways.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I went to Sportsman's Warehouse where I tried on both a Zamberlan 997 and a Leopard in a 10.5, for a boot that touts a roomy toe box wan't overly impressed- the rest of the boot felt pretty good- heel locked in, mid-foot cradled- the Leopard felt better than the 997. They didn't have any wides, so I should probably try a 996 in wide (the 960 doesn't offer a wide)

BUT they did have Kenetrak, I tried on a Hardscrabble that felt pretty good all around; they had wide as well and while the toe box felt great in the wide, it was way too wide in the mid-foot- definitely a no go, but the Hardscrabble will be worth another look in medium width

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think I have the same foot shape as you and I wear the Zamberlan 230 Crossers. Light, durable and comfy once you swap out the insoles. You can usually find them on sale. Would be worth a try since you are trying on a bunch of different boots. The 4 Ds don't fit my feet either.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ good looking shoe; looks pretty close to the Keen Aphlex's I have now- was hoping to find something a bit stouter and stiffer

heading to Missoula tomorrow- will try the Camino's (and anything else similar they may have)

I want to try the Schnee's Beartooth Mid's as well, hopefully I'll be in Bozeman sometime soon

sneaky

"DADDY"
They have better ankle support than what you would think. They are my go-to early season boots. They've outlasted all of my friend's 4D's and I outweigh those little guys by about 75lbs lol. They've all exchanged their boots at least twice and I'm like "same boots here" lol

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good to know :). I'm pretty happy with the Keens, but I think that happiness will fade if I get lucky and need to put my frame to use :D

^ good looking shoe; looks pretty close to the Keen Aphlex's I have now- was hoping to find something a bit stouter and stiffer

heading to Missoula tomorrow- will try the Camino's (and anything else similar they may have)

I want to try the Schnee's Beartooth Mid's as well, hopefully I'll be in Bozeman sometime soon

I've been looking hard at the mid Beartooth as well. Let me know what you think of them.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will do. I was hoping they had a few retailers around, but it appears Bozeman is the only place to try them on-fortunately it's not too bad a drive :)