Strange Thing Found in the Woods...

atfrith

FNG
Tried searching for one of those "weird things you've found in the woods" threads to post this in, but the only ones I found were a couple years old. So here ya go.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but i'll give a little context as to the location we found it. It's maybe .5 mile from the nearest place to park a vehicle. Not super close to a major trail. But definitely not totally off the beaten path either. You have to cross a stream to access the area, but it's still a relatively popular place to forage for mushrooms as I've picked up a few of those folks on my game cameras. Anyways, any ideas what in the world this is? All I could think when I walked up was "that's some blair witch sh** right there"

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

OP
atfrith

atfrith

FNG
i'm not sure how to fix the pictures, they are right side up on my computer but show up sideways and upside down when I post :confused:

RoJo

WKR
With the exception of the large branches, it looks a bit like the largest red squirrel midden I have ever seen.

Dig into it and see if there is a body. :)

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Giant ant hill? The strategically placed sticks are weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
atfrith

atfrith

FNG
Definitely looked like a GIANT midden pile, the sticks were the thing that got me. Just strange....And then I sent my buddy the pics and he pointed out that the sticks spell out "HAM". Not sure if that was by design or thinking to much about it. I even looked around the general vicinity for trail cameras as I figured someone was screwing with me.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Fenn's treasure buried below?

I hunt on Fort Knox here in KY and always coming across old stuff. Found old crusty blanks and clips that were used with M-1 Garand rifles. They were all located in small areas where you could see where some soldiers (WWII-Korean War era) were defending a hill from an attacking force. I was able to locate most of the defensive line by finding small piles of spent brass (blank ammo).

Another day, I found an old Korean/Vietnam era military ambulance in the middle of the woods not near any roads.

I found a truck toolbox that had been stolen and unloaded on our hunting property. It was full of tools but i didn’t open it. I figured as soon as I did it would have a dead body in it. The Sheriff’s dept came and picked it up.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
A big hole in the ground when I was quail hunting here in the desert SE of Phoenix a while back.....definitely man made. It was in an area that I've been hunting in for 8+ years. I've never seen anyone out here. It's in the absolute middle of nowhere and a good 2 mile hike from any accessible road. A bit spooky.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 338
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 327
Tried searching for one of those "weird things you've found in the woods" threads to post this in, but the only ones I found were a couple years old. So here ya go.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but i'll give a little context as to the location we found it. It's maybe .5 mile from the nearest place to park a vehicle. Not super close to a major trail. But definitely not totally off the beaten path either. You have to cross a stream to access the area, but it's still a relatively popular place to forage for mushrooms as I've picked up a few of those folks on my game cameras. Anyways, any ideas what in the world this is? All I could think when I walked up was "that's some blair witch sh** right there"

View attachment 78448

View attachment 78449

View attachment 78450

82651c464535fe9fa9ea0a1caf24654b.jpg

e12237be7f9a867624d9748cef614436.jpg

63446d860c30a63801602559ea45f695.jpg

There you go.

A big hole in the ground when I was quail hunting here in the desert SE of Phoenix a while back.....definitely man made. It was in an area that I've been hunting in for 8+ years. I've never seen anyone out here. It's in the absolute middle of nowhere and a good 2 mile hike from any accessible road. A bit spooky.

Were those piles of rocks on it or near it? If the rocks were around this hole, it could possibly be somebody looking for a section corner. Corners were often buried about 6-12" deep under a stone mound.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Were those piles of rocks on it or near it? If the rocks were around this hole, it could possibly be somebody looking for a section corner. Corners were often buried about 6-12" deep under a stone mound.

Right next to it. Could be I suppose, this was on State Trust land.