Dedicated Big Woods Whitetail Setup

woods89

WKR
I spent some time this fall thinking about a specific type of hunt I do, and what rifle setup would be ideal for it. I'm going to lay out what I've come up with and also some questions that remain for those who have more experience than I. It's the off season, and we need productive things to discuss, right?

I have quite a lot of public land within 2 hours of my house. The terrain is rolling, and almost 100% timber. Mostly hardwood, with some pine, and lots of brushy areas. Deer densities are low, but there are deer to be killed, and some nice bucks die of old age in certain places.

In hunting some of these areas in the last 10 years, I have yet to shoot a deer over 80 yards away or so, and have shot them as close as 10 yards. Shots can happen quick, and lanes need to be picked on the fly. I rarely get a chance for a second shot, which to me means that I need a setup that allows very quick follow up shots to give me as many opportunities as possible. I occasionally still hunt, but most of the time I'm just sitting against a tree in terrain features that funnel deer. Most deer have been shot seated unsupported, or offhand, although sometimes I can use a pack, or hold the forend against a tree. I'm generally packing it in 1/2-2 mi, so lighter is better, within reason.

Currently my rifle of choice is a CZ 527 223, with a 3-9 SWFA with the old Mil Dot reticle. Ammo has been handloaded 69 gr TMK. This rifle has killed everything I've shot at, and frankly I can't complain about it. But the 1-9 twist keeps me from shooting the ideal bullets for that caliber. The 69 gr TMK have killed well, but they dont exit as often as I'd like. Often deer make it out of sight, and two holes is better than one. 9x top end on my scope is also way more than I need.

Conventional wisdom, of course, is some big, slow, "brush busting" bullet. Here's what I think would be ideal.

-223 bolt gun, 1-8 twist, barrel cut to 18", typical factory synthetic sporter stock, detachable mag system. 6 ARC would also work well, but my first choice would be a Tikka, and that's not a factory option.

-77 gr TMK, or 80 gr ELD-X if they seem to live up to expectations. We don't need BC or speed here, but good wounds without a lot of recoil.

-Aiming systems is where most of my questions lie. I think there'd be an argument for a fiber optic front/ghost ring rear set of irons, but having a peep and fiber optic front on my muzzleloader has made me realize that there is quite a bit of practical shooting time lost early and late, like 30 min+ between morning and evening. I think almost 100% of the shots I've taken I could have taken with a 1x red dot sight, but other than shooting some pigs with one at night in Texas about 10 years ago, I don't really know what the pros and cons are. Do they gather light decently? Or maybe a 1-4 or 1-6 scope?

- Otherwise this rifle would be as simple and streamlined as possible.

I'd love to hear from those of you with more experience than I. I'm not fixing to rush out and buy a rifle, but it may be warranted as I will probably spend a lot of time in the next 20 years hunting like this.

Afhunter1

WKR
My dad gave me my first rifle when I was 12. It was a Remington model 7 SS in 7mm-08 that I have killed a metric ton of deer with over the years. We hunt the PA, MD, and WV mountain terrain. That gun is about perfect in my opinion and my 3 kids got model 7 SS rifles for there first guns. It is a short, lite, accurate rife that will last forever. For a scope I’d look at 1-8 nightforce or trijicon in some quality rings. Make the first shot count.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
A lever 30-30 or 35 rem with low power scope. I have only used inexpensive red-dots but the ones I have used were no where near as good in low light as even inexpensive scope. A 223 would work perfectly well just nowhere near as cool as a lever in the deer woods. Save that 223 for open country. The risk then is you get addicted to classy levers instead of trendy stuff and will get shamed on RS;)

Lou

BLJ

WKR
Doing something similar myself right now. I’m just going to lay out what I have so it may provoke some thoughts. Not really recommendations, but what I came up with for the National Forest land deer and bear in Appalachia.

Tikka T3x in 308 with the barrel cut to 18”.
Vertical grip modified to be a little more vertical and an inch cut off the stock to shorten LOP.
Sportsmatch rings.
1-6 Athlon Midas BTR Gen2 with ATSR16 reticle.
I’m going to work up a load using Leverevolution and Speer 200 grain Hot Cors.

I’m waiting on the scope right now so I’m hoping to be around 8# with a loaded mag.

Also hoping that the lower mag scope will help compensate for the higher recoil 308. 🤞

BLJ

WKR
Not sure how you feel about them but the Gen2 RAR in 22 ARC may be something to consider.
Full disclosure I have not handled them.

CHGray

FNG
Classified Approved
Short barrel 7mm-08 or .308. Handy in a climber, ladder or hut. Can still stretch it out some if you need to. Proven whitetail medicine.

My dad gave me my first rifle when I was 12. It was a Remington model 7 SS in 7mm-08 that I have killed a metric ton of deer with over the years. We hunt the PA, MD, and WV mountain terrain. That gun is about perfect in my opinion and my 3 kids got model 7 SS rifles for there first guns. It is a short, lite, accurate rife that will last forever. For a scope I’d look at 1-8 nightforce or trijicon in some quality rings. Make the first shot count.
My dad bought a Model 7 new when I was a kid. It has passed on to me . I agree with the OP that optics should be addressed.
A previous slug gun had a Bushnell red dot that could adjust dot size just as you change mag level. Close shots were 6-8 moa and a precision longer shot with time could be 2moa. Slick but no magnification is tough.
Now for the Model 7, I am aiming for an illuminated reticle low power optic. Trijicon is expected but not certain which model.

N2TRKYS

WKR
A Remington Model Seven with a Leupold VX3I 3.5-10x40 would be hard to beat. I’ve got a couple of them in that setup and love them.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Funny thing, I have a Model Seven, but the only thing original on it is the action. It's my longer range rig currently. I had a hard time warming up to it in factory form as it's balance point was too far back.

I'm personally pretty committed to sticking with 223. Just too much fun to practice with.

And I'd like a nice lever gun, but I'd have a hard time putting a scope on it.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I hunt similar terrain. I'm cooking up a 3.25 lb straight pull bolt action in 300 BLK, thanks to @Thegman's advice. 10.5 in barrel is ultra short and maneuverable, and plenty for any deer. I'll probably stick with subsonics for less blast but supersonics can reach out to 200.

I love the big woods backcountry!

View attachment 650533

That's a great buck! I agree, I love big woods whitetails.

Long Cut

WKR
CVA Scout
Most compact rifle I own, haven’t chopped the barrel down to 16” either.
I see guys with TBAC Ultra 338’s on 18” CVA Scout’s and it’s still 2” shorter than a Compact Tikka

Mines in 6.5CM and shoots sub MOA 5-Shot groups. I’d get either 6.5, .243 or .300BO and chop the barrel to 16” and have fun suppressed if you want.

Scope I’d get a 2-10x56 Trijicon Credo or 2-10x56 S&B Klassic
We need BIG objectives for low light, thick timber encounters. My 3-9 SWFA is nice, but it’s no 56mm obj

My .02

Attachments

• IMG_9529.jpeg
    IMG_9529.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 53

Long Cut

WKR
I keep having a wild hair to use a 14.5” 556 AR with a 5” can and LVPO scope for similar situations. Carrying one for a couple days will probably cure that wild hair though. Otherwise it will be 18” tikka 223 or 6 creed.
You think, until a big buck steps out at dusk with 6 minutes of legal light left, and that 24mm can’t see the buck that you can visibly see with your own eyes.
I will never deer hunt with an LVPO again.