Spending the big bucks on optics?

Ronb

WKR
Buy once cry once is very applicable to optics. I started pretty high up but my ATX 95 is my sixth scope. I hunted long and hard to find deals on both my ATX and ELs. If you are patient and have the time to spend on the net you can find the deals. You need to be ready with cash and be able to recognize a deal.

I purchased in the offseason. Both my el’s and my hd65 swaro were both bought with slight issues on ebay. I checked with swaro ahead of time to verify authenticity and if stolen. I reregistered them and swaro fixed both for free, less the shipping. Swarovision el 8.5 x42 were bought for $1350 and the scope for $1125. Later on I picked up a used 25-50 wide for $425. Then sold the 20-60 for $375. All this took a half a year of waiting for a deal to pop up. Have patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
You don't mention your age or how many years you have left to hunt but:

About 40 years ago, I tired of Bushnells fogging on brown bear hunts so I
spent $600 for Zeiss armored 8x30....top of the line back then. I used them for 30 years
and sold them.....for $600.......

Thirty years ago, I attended a long range match and wondered at the 88mm spotting scopes
all were using......I'd never heard of Kowa.......bought one for <$800 and used it until a few
years ago when at age 69, I'd drawn a coveted sheep tag and the scope was really cumbersome
for this type of hunt.......I sold it for $750 and bought a new smaller Kowa.....

Buy good gear and take care of it.....you may not make money but you won't have to
put it on the bargain table at a gun show either.

Hang around as these folks like good gear and seller and buyer are waiting for
opportunities to upgrade or add to their gear.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
You don't mention your age or how many years you have left to hunt but:

About 40 years ago, I tired of Bushnells fogging on brown bear hunts so I
spent $600 for Zeiss armored 8x30....top of the line back then. I used them for 30 years
and sold them.....for $600.......

Thirty years ago, I attended a long range match and wondered at the 88mm spotting scopes
all were using......I'd never heard of Kowa.......bought one for <$800 and used it until a few
years ago when at age 69, I'd drawn a coveted sheep tag and the scope was really cumbersome
for this type of hunt.......I sold it for $750 and bought a new smaller Kowa.....

Buy good gear and take care of it.....you may not make money but you won't have to
put it on the bargain table at a gun show either.

Hang around as these folks like good gear and seller and buyer are waiting for
opportunities to upgrade or add to their gear.

Hello thanks for the reply . I am 25 years old so young with a lot of hunting still. Hunting is on of my top hobbies. I ended up buying a kowa 883 used. I know it will be big for back pack hunts but will also be nice for mule deer hunting. Hope fully I don’t regret it ....

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
you need to get out of the store more......

Nothing like a useless answer. I find that people that usually don't know what they think they know usually give smart assed remarks rather than helpful responses. And I noticed that the mindless minions just tagged along too.

I suspect that you live in some big city in Colorado where all the really cool guys buy things that are in style rather than buying equipment that they understand and can actually discuss the benefits of the product. How about responding with real information about the Alpha optics products. The only Alpha Optics products company I found online was made in China, how about providing me with a link to their company's web site or are they one of those third rate manufacturers that simply sell through a import company?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nothing like a useless answer. I find that people that usually don't know what they think they know usually give smart assed remarks rather than helpful responses. And I noticed that the mindless minions just tagged along too.

I suspect that you live in some big city in Colorado where all the really cool guys buy things that are in style rather than buying equipment that they understand and can actually discuss the benefits of the product. How about responding with real information about the Alpha optics products. The only Alpha Optics products company I found online was made in China, how about providing me with a link to their company's web site or are they one of those third rate manufacturers that simply sell through a import company?
Good grief, really? Talk about a useless response, pot meet kettle. We're not talking about a damn company named Alpha optics. Alpha glass refers to the pinnacle of optics. Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa. Those are alpha optics. You were ragging on him, yet you did the same thing. You lumped him into some user group that you obviously have a disdain for, and in the process made yourself look uneducated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR

Whiskey tango foxtrot..

It's always fun when someone runs their mouth heels on a sitting on the saddle backwards..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Buy Kowa prominar binos and spotters. Alpha performance at beta prices.

I have 2 Kowa spotters and Kowa binos and could not be happier.

Make sure you get their top of the line stuff (Prominar scopes, Genesis binos,) as they also sell lower tier optics.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I have commented that I’m all for top of the line glass but I’ll qualify that with I’d never choose spending big dollars for optics if it means I’m not going to be able to hunt all I can. You won’t kill the big whatever you’re after sitting at home fondling your super scope and binoculars you spent your hunting money on. I’m stuck in Florida all year so I don’t have the privilege of blowing every dime I have scouting and hunting all year round. For anyone getting started on a budget your money is better spent on boots on the ground and good camping equipment and clothes that helps keep you in the field. Good binoculars before a good spotting scope. A great scope is a real asset and a pleasure to use but it’s not a panacea to make you an effective hunter. Time in the field is the best predictor of success.

Ill be the minority here, for us that dont live out west and hunt out west a 3000 dollar spotter is crazy for me to just sit on a shelf to use once a year . If I made 120,000 thousand a year sure maybe but I dont. Ive got a nice Vortex Razor spotter that does just fine for what I use it for and the Diamond Back binos are awesome . Ive got a 600 Dollar Vortex Razor HD scope and a 160 Vortex Crossfire on 2 separate rifles and Id be HARD pressed to see the difference in glass clarity between the 2. I dont understand why everyone needs a 1500 dollar rifle scope to shoot 300 yards ? I think youd be better off spending 700 dollar on ammo to practice and buy a 500 dollar scope . My 2 cents on the subject, From someone who shoots a 1300 dollar rifle that shoots like a 500 dollar one lol.

I live in AR, and primarily hunt in MO. Elk hunt once a year, but I use my Swaro 10x42 for everything from whitetail in timber to bird hunting and coyote hunting, hell I take them everywhere with me. Even vacations skiing out West, they’re always with me. They pay for themselves out West, but they don’t go down in quality back home. Alpha glass makes EVERYTHING better when glassing

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Well the Kowa 883 arrived yesterday! All I can say is wow! I haven’t looked through the big name spotters until a few years ago but this scope is simply amazing how clear it is even on the 60x no tunnel vision. It also came with 1.6x extender but not to sure if I’ll ever need this? Or should sell it ?