Recommend me the BEST rechargeable Headlamp!

Glen1978

FNG
Im a buy once, cry once guy. I use a headlamp alot for camping, hunting, working around the house, etc, so I need something I can adjust brightness on as sometimes on my old Princeton the first click on is just too bright.

I think Id prefer something I could just plug in a micro usb in the truck or house like a phone. That seems to limit your options and most seem to have the 18650 batteries you have to remove and put in a cradle. I dont know.....sway me whatever way with you like with pros and cons. I know changing out to three AAA batteries is getting old. TIA

Ucsdryder

WKR
I settled on replaceable batteries but then went to rechargeable batteries. No more throwing out half full batteries or rolling the dice on used batteries. I would never buy a recharabke headlamp. What do you do when it dies and you’re cutting up an elk or hiking in the dark? Makes zero sense to me.

The Black Diamond Revolt. It is rechargeable, but if the rechargeable batteries die you can use AAA. Best of both worlds. It charges with a micro usb.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I just bought one compatible with lithium batteries. Carry spare batteries (which are lighter than a solar charger, battery pack, etc.) along. I know if it dies, I have new lights in 20 seconds.

but to each their own.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Revolt too, ended up switching to regular batteries in it all the time, seemed like the rechargeables drained too quick. Now I use a Black Diamond Storm I think? Used it two seasons now, I put a fresh set in at the beginning of the season and haven't had to replace during the season yet.

I just got a Petzl Active Core, but I only have two uses on it so far. The low setting is enough for walking to my stand and the high setting is blinding! I'll be using it every day over the next week so I can report back if you want.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Petzl Reactik+ that has gotten me through two overnight trail races. I also used it hiking out of the woods in the rain in archery season last year. It’s currently seeing use 2-3 times a week for hour plus runs in early morning darkness. I charge it maybe once a month.

There are 3 customizable beam settings. And I picked up an extra battery because I was worried coming from AAA light, but I haven’t needed to use the extra yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
I've got 2 of the Black Diamond Revolt's. When I got them I they were the best headlamps I'd ever used. Now neither will recharge batteries, and generally eat through batteries. Plus they're not that bright.

I picked up 1 of the Fenix FL60's this spring and it's on a whole new level. I've used it for work, working in a crawl space and it'll go a couple 10 hr days without needing recharging. It's rechargeable with micro usb cord. Only fault, if you can call it that is the beam is pretty flood so on the highest settings it's not that useful. Not sure why you'd run it that way anyway. It's really nice to have a headlamp in your pack that you know you can get 30hrs of reasonable light out of without worrying about batteries.

Zebra light is the other obvious high end headlamp.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Petzl Reactik+ Has bluetoooth to connect to phone to keep an eye on battery life, change settings. Has red light and the auto adjust light / sensor which lengthens life. Had it for a couple years and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Glen1978

FNG
What Zebra Light? And what kinda beam and light output? Folks always recommend them but never a model number. There website is horrendous.

Last edited:
Hows the battery life been for you with the Petzl?

Fine. I generally use it for around camp and periodically for hiking. I have used it for 4-5 day trip without charging. I don’t tend to run it long for reading or walking/hiking at night though. I like the zebra a bit more for night hiking and overall illumination due to it being brighter.

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
What Zebra Light? And what kinda beam and light output? Folks always recommend them but never a model number. There website is horrendous.

Yup.

I have a previous version of this one. I like it because it is small, simple, light weight, throws plenty of light, and pretty bombproof.

ETA: I really like the feature that you can unscrew the tail piece a turn (loosen the battery) and "lock out" the light. Some others I have used have been found on, or dead, in the pack after being accidentally turned on.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
I buy them on EBay for cheap from China and can’t beat the performance for the dollars. I have several. I use them all time hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk