Lightweight Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I haven't looked at synthetic bags for years outside the slick bag.

Who makes a relatively lightweight 30-degree sleeping bag??

Mountain hardware lamina z flame is a good cheap option that fits the bill.

It’s a survival rating of 22 so really probably closer to 30.

Brendan

WKR
I actually have an older version of one of these that works fine down into the 30's. Brought it to Grand Teton in September one year and made do, but was wearing clothes, jacket and hat to work into the high 20's. It's my dedicated warm weather / summer bag and I don't think twice about just tossing it in the washing machine when I get home.

REI Co-op Helio Sack 55 Sleeping Bag | REI Co-op

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't looked at synthetic bags for years outside the slick bag.

Who makes a relatively lightweight 30-degree sleeping bag??
What do YOU mean by 30 degree? 30 Degree rated, or 30 degree before you personally start getting cold?

For example Exped provides this info via their website:
Comfort Temperature:
46.4 °F
Limit Temperature:
37.4 °F
Extreme Temperature:
8.6 °F

What temp would you rate that bag based on that info? For me, I'd call it a 47 degree bag, they call it a 37 degree bag.

Another example is the rating on the HyperLamina Spark that has been suggested:
EN Rating: T-COMFORT: 41 F / 5 C
EN Rating: T-LIMIT: 32 F / 0 C
EN Rating: T-EXTREME: 3 F / -16 C

They rate that bag a 32 degree, again I personally would find it more comfortable in 40 degree temps. For me my sleep comfort seems to align better with the Comfort rating rather than the limit rating...

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What do YOU mean by 30 degree? 30 Degree rated, or 30 degree before you personally start getting cold?

For example Exped provides this info via their website:
Comfort Temperature:
46.4 °F
Limit Temperature:
37.4 °F
Extreme Temperature:
8.6 °F

What temp would you rate that bag based on that info? For me, I'd call it a 47 degree bag, they call it a 37 degree bag.

Another example is the rating on the HyperLamina Spark that has been suggested:
EN Rating: T-COMFORT: 41 F / 5 C
EN Rating: T-LIMIT: 32 F / 0 C
EN Rating: T-EXTREME: 3 F / -16 C

They rate that bag a 32 degree, again I personally would find it more comfortable in 40 degree temps. For me my sleep comfort seems to align better with the Comfort rating rather than the limit rating...

I’ve spent more night in the woods in Oct/Nov/Dec than most. So I have a pretty good grasp on what a face value 30 degree bag will get me. But I want to try a few personal test with a synthetic Bags this year. Like I said, I don’t think I’ve ever ran synthetic bag backpack hunting. I definitely know what a down bag can and can’t do with wet clothing. I want to see what a synthetic does. On the plus side I’m a really warm sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a plan. Only synthetics I have used are the Mtn Hardwear ones, and they seem to hold up well. Good luck with your search

MH Ultralamina is a decent bag...mine is the 15* F version, but I don't like that the zippers (there are two...one each side) only go down to your waist, as I like to throw the bag over me in warmer weather like a quilt.

Ryan -I bought a vest off you a couple months back. I mention that because I think we are both a bit...husky.

With that in mind, I have had 3 different north face cats meows in 20 years of .mil and backpacking. The third and final version I bought 3 years ago was just too slim in the shoulders so I gave it to my son.

I bought a montbell burrow bag. Got it for $130 from moosejaw. It has a spiral baffle and a stretchy thread that gives it more roomy than you would expect. Very comfortable and I have had it below it’s 30 degree temp rating. I sleep a bit warm due to the afore mentioned huskiness.

Burrow bag #3 Long | Montbell America

I started looking around for a new bag recently and got interested in the spoon shaped design of the Nemo’s. Well reviewed and reasonably priced. Designed for side sleepers and has some cool features but I couldn’t find one to try it out.

Forte™ Men's Synthetic Sleeping Bag

I finally landed on a enlightened equipment convert in Apex. It is a hybrid bag and quilt. $250. Pick your color. I went long, extra wide and 30 degrees. I plan to try it out this fall and expect to be able to handle everything from summer backpacking to about 20-25 degrees with some supplemental clothing.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/convert-apex-custom/

JD619er

WKR
I bought the Marmot ultra elite 20 weighs 1lb 15 oz and has a lower limit rating of 22 degrees

541hunter

WKR
Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag | The North Face

Bought this bag in the spring. Spent a couple nights on it so far in temps down to 30*. I was comfortable in boxers only. Was using a neo air xlite pad with a seek outside silvertip. Feet got a bit drafty one night. Comes in at 2lbs 4oz. Will be using it this elk season for the 3rd week of September. Will likely see temps in mid 20s at night

Hyper Cat Sleeping Bag | The North Face

Newest version of the same bag and comes in at 1lb 14oz.

JohnnyB

WKR
Have you used it? Temp rating true?

I just ordered it when I saw the price/ weight/ rating combo. Worst case scenario my daughter will use it for slumber parties. Being fairly broad shouldered I am hoping it fits me ok. When it comes Tuesday I’ll comment on the size.

Have had lots of use from North Face Cats Meow and another Kelty. They may not measure up to the big dollar bags (I wouldn’t know yet) but’s can’t spend a ton on the bag. Thanks to the Rokslide sponsors, I am pretty short on cash.