Waterproof sleeping bag liner?

rootacres

WKR
Waterproof sleeping bag bivy?

I kinda surprised how hard of a time I am having finding a liner to put my sleeping bag in. I really like this down bag I have and just need a waterproof liner to put it in for condensation/moisture protection when in use. What is everyone using out there?

Last edited:
K

Kootenay Hunter

So you're looking for a sleeping bag cover? or a liner to put inside your sleeping bag?

Most folks use a gore-tex like outer cover to protect against moisture, some of which are considered bivy covers.

Something like this? BREEZE DRY-TEC U.L. Sleeping Bag Cover | Montbell America

Silk liners are popular to add some more R value and keep the bag clean, but typically not waterproof.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Kootenay... It sounds like you're looking for a bivy bag of some sort.

There are tons of options when it comes to bivys. What sort of shelter do you use? If you're in a tent with a bathtub floor, or sleep off the ground in a cot, something minimalist would probably work great like the one REI makes. If you're a tarp guy and are on the dirt, you may want a heavier duty option like a surplus goretex bivy from the Military Sleep System. There are tons of options in between.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
So you're looking for a sleeping bag cover? or a liner to put inside your sleeping bag?

Most folks use a gore-tex like outer cover to protect against moisture, some of which are considered bivy covers.

Something like this? BREEZE DRY-TEC U.L. Sleeping Bag Cover | Montbell America

Silk liners are popular to add some more R value and keep the bag clean, but typically not waterproof.

Sorry, I guess I should try to use the correct terminology. . I am looking for a bivy type bag to put my sleeping bag in. Some of the bivys I had found before were more or less tent substitutes. I will still be using a tent. Just looking for something that will protect my down bag from condensation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Surplus mil bivies can be had for $30 bucks......

Yep, but they're a lot heavier. My EE long wide bivy weighs less than 7oz with seam sealer and stuff sack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
What condensation are you trying to protect yourself from inside a tent??

If it is condensation from the walls of the tent, then a bivy bag will work.

If you are trying to protect your bag from internal water vapor from your body that works it’s way through the sleeping bag insulation until the water vapor cools enough to condense, typically in cooler weather on the shell and colder weather in the actual insulation, then you are actually talking about a vapor barrier on the inside of your bag. This is a concept often ignored by the stove embracing cold weather hunter but accepted by the mountaineering community and certain military units where extended no stove cold bivouacs are a way of life.

MattB

WKR
You might search bag liner. I bought one back in the day that was ~7 oz., same shape as a mummy bag.