0 degree synthetic sleeping bags

So I am looking for some opinions on what you think is a good choice for a synthetic sleeping bag for backpacking? I know that down is the preferred material to use but can't afford the prices of those. So looking into a good synthetic bag that will last me a few years until I upgrade it. Looking for a 0 degree bag.

dtrkyman

WKR
Outdoor Vitals has a solid down bag for the money, I have one and have been comfortable down to 10 degrees or so, I am a cold sleeper.

twall13

WKR
A 0° synthetic bag will likely be fairly bulky. Not necessarily an issue, but something to be aware of. Are you sure you need a 0° bag? I'd personally look at a Wiggy's for a less expensive synthetic bag, you'll get a good value bag for the money. I'd take a Kifaru Slick bag over that but that's gonna cost a lot more and you mentioned price as your reason for avoiding down.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
O
I was looking at that trestles bag..not a bad looking bag. I do realize the bulk for sure. Never bought a bag before, but looking for a bag for Colorado elk archery. Guess I assumed to get a warm one. But I guess I don't know what temp to run. I do plan on using a tensor insulated pad as well

TheHammer

WKR
I have a klymit aspen 0 & 20 * bags. Some of these bags, watch the sizes. I purchased the 20* for archery season and loved it for the $. And figured the 0* bag was worth the gamble. I have a handful of other bags, some are much heavier and not much warmer.

OP
O
Planning on using a tensor insulated pad. Just don't know if I am going overkill on the temp rating for my bag or is a 20 good enough for archery elk in Colorado?

TheHammer

WKR
Planning on using a tensor insulated pad. Just don't know if I am going overkill on the temp rating for my bag or is a 20 good enough for archery elk in Colorado?
That’s the pad I run, well the wide version. In early September all I carry is a bag liner and lightweight down blanket. Mid to late September I run my 20* bag. Weight on both systems is similar.

Rating on most sleeping bags are for survival mode, not really comfort mode. Are you a hot sleeper? Cold sleeper? If it’s going to be 20-25 degrees, I take my 0 degree bag. If it’s going to be 0 degrees, I take a -25.
My husband, on the other hand, sleeps hot and would roast at these bag selections. If it is expected to be 25 degrees, he would want a 25 degree bag.
Go for the colder-rated bag, you can always unzip it part way and ventilate.

If I could do it all over again, I would go x lite max pad and 20* wm bag year round. Single trek pole tent for archery, hot tent for rifle.

*zap*

WKR
A 0° synthetic bag will likely be fairly bulky. Not necessarily an issue, but something to be aware of. Are you sure you need a 0° bag? I'd personally look at a Wiggy's for a less expensive synthetic bag, you'll get a good value bag for the money. I'd take a Kifaru Slick bag over that but that's gonna cost a lot more and you mentioned price as your reason for avoiding down.
^ this.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
What do you consider affordable? I’d probably err on going with down even if it is one of the cheaper down bags. Can’t beat the weight and packability of it.

If you truly need something cheap, it will cost you. In weight and bulk. I started hiking/camping with a military sleep system which is a true 0-ish system that has a light bag, heavier bag, and gore tex bivy that comes in at a grand total of like 10 pounds and takes up the space of maybe 8+ liters. Can be found cheap, but once you pack and carry it a bit, you will realize you will really prioritize somehow coming up with a couple hundred more dollars for a down bag. If you are not hiking with it, and just need to unload it from the truck to the wall tent, the military sleep system may be hard to beat for warmth and price.

Edit to add:
There are some synthetic systems out there now that aim to compete with down. Vegan and PETA types push for that option to be available. The good ones are not cheap though. Look for Apex insulation like the kifaru slick bags, or prima loft gold. Those are/were a couple of the good synthetics last time I did some reading on that topic.

twall13

WKR
^^Agreed. At almost double the weight of a down bag, “bulky” won’t exactly be the operative word you use for it when packing it in and out of the backcountry. But if you’re just getting started, packing an extra 2 pounds for a few seasons will probably be worth the $$hundreds you’ll be able save and possibly use on more important items like boots, bullets, and tags.
In general you are right that synthetic will weigh more but it can be less of a difference than most people think with a quality synthetic bag. A good synthetic can be almost as light as down, but will always be more bulky. A 0° Kifaru Slick bag with Apex synthetic insulation weighs 3.35 lbs. A 0° Nemo Sonic with 800 fill down insulation weighs 3.25 lbs.

Again, a lesser quality synthetic will weigh even more (and typically cost less), but the weights can be fairly competitve in the better synthetic bags.

Last edited:

Lytro

WKR
I have a Marmot Trestles that I got about 5 years ago. It's a decent bag that has held up well, but it's really bulky for a backpack hunt.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
What do you consider affordable? I’d probably err on going with down even if it is one of the cheaper down bags. Can’t beat the weight and packability of it.

If you truly need something cheap, it will cost you. In weight and bulk. I started hiking/camping with a military sleep system which is a true 0-ish system that has a light bag, heavier bag, and gore tex bivy that comes in at a grand total of like 10 pounds and takes up the space of maybe 8+ liters. Can be found cheap, but once you pack and carry it a bit, you will realize you will really prioritize somehow coming up with a couple hundred more dollars for a down bag. If you are not hiking with it, and just need to unload it from the truck to the wall tent, the military sleep system may be hard to beat for warmth and price
My budget really is no more than $150-175 max
I hate to say it, but I really think anything synthetic in that price range will likely be pretty bulky. Like someone mentioned the Kifaru Slick bag is a good option that uses quality synthetic insulation, but it is not in that price range, and it is likely still bulkier than down even if the weight is not significantly more. I’d work some overtime to come up with another $200 or so and get a decent down bag.

Are you backpacking in or truck camping? If you aren’t backpacking it in, buy a mil surp system or one of those bulky and heavy cabelas bags and call it good.

Also, do you definitely need a 0 degree? If you are archery hunting an area that may be in the 20-30 degree range at night, you may get away with a bit less insulation.

OP
O
I'm backpacking in and I am not opposed to getting a lighter insulated bag. Never been to Colorado and will be my first time back country hunting. So lots of things to buy

i've used the lamina 0 the past 2 years in CO. it's a bit warm for opening weekend, but i've also used that bag in Idaho on a hunt that was <10F for the first 4 days. It will get the job done.

TheHammer

WKR
For those talking about bulk. Are you running your bags inside your packs? My aspens are sub 3lbs onsale for 109$ and the stuff sack is relatively water resistant. They breathe some too. I haven’t had any issues strapping my bags outside of my pack. A guy who frequently hunts with me runs a kelty 20* with no complaints, unsure of their price point.

twall13

WKR
They say we pack our fears. If we are afraid of being cold, we overpack on clothing and gear to keep us warm (sleeping bag). If we are afraid of being hungry we pack too much food. Etc. The more you do it the more you realize what you really need and can dial in exactly what to bring.

I wouldn't personally pack a zero degree bag for Archery season. A 20° rated bag is a good all around bag and if it's decent quality should be more than warm enough. Weather can fluctuate wildly that time of year but if things get bad enough to need more than 20° rated sleeping gear you can supplement with your puffy coat, etc. or perhaps more likely get off the mountain. More than likely you'll be too hot, but you never know and I'm not advocating being under prepared.

For reference, I use a hammock setup with 30° down quilts that time of year but I've put my gear to the test and know I can sleep comfortably down to that temperature rating.