0 degree synthetic sleeping bags

OP
O
So here is one that is a possibility I may be looking at. Has anyone used this one or have used it before? Would love input if so

Kelty Cosmic Synthetic Fill 0 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag, Regular – Compression Straps, Stuff Sack Included https://a.co/d/i60cCLn

For 0 degree synthetic on a budget, I would suggest Marmot-Trestles or Mountain Hardware - Lamina

Both on are on sale right now but you might have to shop around for

For 0 degree synthetic on a budget, I would suggest Marmot-Trestles or Mountain Hardware - Lamina .....

Kelty Cosmic Synthetic Fill 20 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag

Agreed.

Htm84

WKR
So here is one that is a possibility I may be looking at. Has anyone used this one or have used it before? Would love input if so

Kelty Cosmic Synthetic Fill 0 Degree Backpacking Sleeping Bag, Regular – Compression Straps, Stuff Sack Included https://a.co/d/i60cCLn

Fairly certain I have or had that same bag. I don’t really recall what model it is. Bought it on the way to a spur of the moment hunt. It was the only zero degree bag in sportsmans when we stopped. It’s not very packable in my opinion. But neither are most synthetics in my opinion. It was low single digits most nights. Not the warmest bag but comfortable enough. A better pad would of helped some. If your looking for a fairly cheap down bag the Kelty’s are ok in general and pretty nice for the price.

I bought a feathered friends recently and am very satisfied. It’s a 10 degree bag and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it into single digits.

Attachments

• 84114F37-29EB-46D0-BF9A-025D4D96D9EF.jpeg
    84114F37-29EB-46D0-BF9A-025D4D96D9EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
The kelty will work just fine. But the lowest temp rating you will need for a synthetic bag on a Colorado September hunt is 20 degrees. I've tried 30 degree bags, but these can be hit or miss. Sometimes a 20 down bag will get damp and leave something to be desired. But a synthetic 20 degree bag will pretty much always get the job done.

The 0 degree Slick Bag has served me well in tge CO mountains most recently on my buddies 4th season rifle deer hunt. It was in the single digits and below 0 one night. Its bulky for sure but I'll take the bulk/weight penalty to sleep better at night.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
With your need vs budget, I would buy a used down bag. Figure out several that you think will work, and look at the classifieds here, but also on the geartrade and ULgeartrade subs over on reddit. Over there you might get a decent bag from a hiker who is upgrading to a quilt.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd agree that early season, a 0 degree will likely be a bit of overkill (unless a person sleeps very cold!).

A 15-20 degree bag should suffice.

I've seen several nice bags/quilts for sale for some pretty good deals in the Classifieds. If I was on a budget, that's where I'd start.

With your need vs budget, I would buy a used down bag. Figure out several that you think will work, and look at the classifieds here, but also on the geartrade and ULgeartrade subs over on reddit. Over there you might get a decent bag from a hiker who is upgrading to a quilt.
I was going to recommend this exact thing.

OP, I don’t think you need (and I don’t use) a synthetic bag for early season archery. Freak storm systems notwithstanding, I’ve always had plenty of daily sun to dry out gear and/or the rain squalls typically last ~ 30 mins.

Hardly enough rain/humidity to saturate anything, which would be the primary reason to run a synthetic IMO.

Don't buy a stone glacier chilkoot 0 degree.

You'll sweat to death even at 15 degrees.

That thing is so warm it's ridiculous.