1:11 twist with 190 gr Barnes LRX

Badland

FNG
So thinking I did all of my research I went out and ordered couple boxes of 190 gr LRX for my Tikka 300 Win mag... now I have heard some mixed opinions. I contacted Barnes yesterday and they stated if I am hunting over 5000 feet up I will be ok but that less than that I really need a 1:10 twist. I live in ND so most of my shooting is not above 5000' haha.

Am I wasting my time with these? I know I have read where other guys say they shot great for them but others say not to even try as they won't stabilize. I am pretty new to the technical aspects of shooting. In years past it was just buying 180 gr partitions and not lookin back... which may be what I fall back on.

Wapiti1

WKR
You really will have to shoot and see. When you are on the bubble, your rifle might work, or it might not.

I have seen combos work that weren't supposed to, and vice versa.

Jeremy

OXN939

WKR
So thinking I did all of my research I went out and ordered couple boxes of 190 gr LRX for my Tikka 300 Win mag... now I have heard some mixed opinions. I contacted Barnes yesterday and they stated if I am hunting over 5000 feet up I will be ok but that less than that I really need a 1:10 twist. I live in ND so most of my shooting is not above 5000' haha.

Am I wasting my time with these? I know I have read where other guys say they shot great for them but others say not to even try as they won't stabilize. I am pretty new to the technical aspects of shooting. In years past it was just buying 180 gr partitions and not lookin back... which may be what I fall back on.

Truly, the only way to figure this out is to go try it in your individual rifle. There are a ton of other factors that influence how well a rifle "likes" ammo, so send a few groups and if they're good to go then I'd shoot em. LRXs are great projectiles.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just go with the 175’s which you know will stabilize and call it good. Why deal with the hassle?

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Thanks for the replies! This was something I ordered and shortly after realized I should have went with less grain or just stuck to partitions that I know my gun likes, so was simply just looking at trying something new and took interest in those higher BC bullets. Looked at the Berger 185 Hybrids as well since I knew the 215s wouldn’t do well

AR_Clint

FNG
Did they stabilize for you?

Sorry to resurrect a thread from over a year ago, but I was wondering if you ever tried these in your Tikka? I have a T3 lite in 300wm and was wanting to find a higher bc bullet for it.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
Boxes never got opened actually, sittin in the ammo box. Went with 180gr accubonds and don’t think I’ll ever switch with this particular gun, shoots too good! Tho I talked to a guy who used those 190gr Barnes in a tikka and he was fine out to 300-400 yds and I say that cuz that’s as far as he tried shooting lol… so I’d say you’d be fine!

406Backwoods

FNG
Classified Approved
Boxes never got opened actually, sittin in the ammo box. Went with 180gr accubonds and don’t think I’ll ever switch with this particular gun, shoots too good! Tho I talked to a guy who used those 190gr Barnes in a tikka and he was fine out to 300-400 yds and I say that cuz that’s as far as he tried shooting lol… so I’d say you’d be fine!
Would you consider parting with them for a good price or do you want to hang on to them?