New Barnes 7mm LRX 152 gr for 7SAUM?

Recently I saw that Barnes released a 152gr load specifically for the 280AI. Currently it is only available in loaded ammunition, but assuming they release the bullet for hand loaders, would this be a good option for load development for 7SAUM? If so, how would you start load development?
I would like to stick with copper have been also looking at the 145gr LRX or maybe some Hammers. I will hunt mule deer and elk at ranges less than 500 yards with a 21” 1/8” twist barrel.
Thanks all!

FredIII

FNG
Monos need and like to go fast. The Etip is a great choice as well. A 145 would get speed! I would want 3100fps with a mono to assure opening at the 500 yard mark.
As to starting load development I would find the coal and load IMR 7828 with a fed210. Work up to pressure find the dept it likes and use it to kill.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the BC on it (can't readily find any info) and what velocity are they loading it to in the 280AI? I get 3130fps with the 145LRX from a 24" 280AI. (the 139 wasn't out when I developed that load)

For me when looking at the 139 vs 145 (and potentially the 152 if that ones becomes available) its mostly which has more velocity at X yds down range (however far you want to kill) and that makes the decision comparing two monos close in weight/BC. Also which opens easier (I believe barnes claims the 139 opens easier than the 145). I won't go anywhere near the barnes "minimum expansion velocity" but which ever opens easier to me is gonna open better at say 2200+ fps. I'll be trying out the 139LRX in a 284WIN as soon as I get the barrel for it.

pods8 says it well, find the combo of speed and BC that gives expansion velocity at your max range of 500 yds.

Barnes don't lose weight on impact/expansion, a lighter weight performs as well or better (especially on large game like elk and hard shot angles) as a heavier bullet that loses 30-40% of its weight or more in the expansion process. In my experience, if I choose the mono correctly to begin with (a couple weights lighter than traditional), the speed takes care of itself.

The difference in velocity may negate any BC advantage the new 152 LRX has vs the current 139 LRX. There has to be an upside for the 152 gr LRX at longer range, otherwise the 139 LRX would be my choice no questions asked.

Last edited:

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Joseph Von Benedikt talked about this load in one of his recent backcountry hunting podcasts. Apparently he got a bunch of listeners to petition barnes to create a 280 ai load. He went through the details on bc, velocity but I dont remember them. You can google the podcasts and listen to the last few

Lou

Thanks for the info. If the 152 LRX combines BC and velocity to carry the freight better at longer range, then that would be the one to go with. Unless the 139 LRX shot better of course. 13 gr of bullet weight in a mono is inconsequential for on-game performance dealing with the bullet weights we are talking about.

OP
D
Thanks all for the info. Lou, I found the podcast you mentioned and listened to it. I didn’t hear any specifics about bc other than it is pretty good for a mono bullet. He also mentioned it had a velocity in about the 3000 range but other than that not much specifics. I guess we will have to wait and see what the specs are before I make my decision, but will most likely go with the lighter bullet based on suggestions here.

For those wanting to listen, it is the backcountry hunting podcast, episode is “Coolest new gear at shot show” and it starts about 45 minutes into the conversation.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
There was a later ome - it may have been the close range cartridges one but he did talk bc numbers

Lou

Barnes data is showing 3000 fps and a bit more for the 150 TSX/TTX. 3,000 fps should be doable in a 152 gr factory load.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the info. Lou, I found the podcast you mentioned and listened to it. I didn’t hear any specifics about bc other than it is pretty good for a mono bullet. He also mentioned it had a velocity in about the 3000 range but other than that not much specifics. I guess we will have to wait and see what the specs are before I make my decision, but will most likely go with the lighter bullet based on suggestions here.

For those wanting to listen, it is the backcountry hunting podcast, episode is “Coolest new gear at shot show” and it starts about 45 minutes into the conversation.
Around 40 mins in on the short range cartridge blog which is blog or 2 later than shot show blog

OP
D
Around 40 mins in on the short range cartridge blog which is blog or 2 later than shot show blog
Thank you Lou, I hadn’t listened to that one yet. For those interested, JVB shot this round at 2955fps, and it has a Doppler verified BC of .467.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
There was a later ome - it may have been the close range cartridges one but he did talk bc numbers

Lou
That's the episode, it's in a segment in the middle of it. It was published on 1 Feb for those wondering.

Tmac

WKR
Recently I saw that Barnes released a 152gr load specifically for the 280AI. Currently it is only available in loaded ammunition, but assuming they release the bullet for hand loaders, would this be a good option for load development for 7SAUM? If so, how would you start load development?
I would like to stick with copper have been also looking at the 145gr LRX or maybe some Hammers. I will hunt mule deer and elk at ranges less than 500 yards with a 21” 1/8” twist barrel.
Thanks all!
Have had great results with the 145 LRX out of my 280. No 139 LRX when I picked it, or I would have tried it. I’ve got adequate velocity to 600 with the 145 where I hunt.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Of the .284 LRX bullets, the 139 is supposed to open up with the lowest velocity threshold (min. 1400 fps) according to Barnes. The others require a min. 1600 fps. If the 152 matches the 139 in this regard I might try it at some point. Otherwise meh...

The above mentioned CEB Lazer is a single feed only design, or are there other options not shown on their website in a .284"?

The above mentioned CEB Lazer is a single feed only design, or are there other options not shown on their website in a .284"?

They call them that just in regards to COAL constraints. So if they fit in your magazine they are not single feed only.

Edit to add: the 145 Lazers end up around 3.0” COAL in a 7 saum with the drive band seated in front of the case mouth.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Used to be that monos needed to have 2K to petal out properly. The LRX is designed to petal out at a much lower velocity….want to say 1600. The 145 LRX is the heaviest I am going to be able to shoot in my 284 Win. and still keep the velocity up out to range. However in the 6.8 Western I am definitely going with the 155 LRX. Haven’t worked up the loads yet though. The way I see it if you can keep up the velocity, the longer the petals the better. Contrary to popular belief, there are some awesome bullets in .277.

Last edited: