100% scentless sunscreen for deer hunts

jw710

FNG
Hey Guys,

I know a lot of deer/elk hunters try to mitigate their scent while hunting

but I'm wondering as hunters would you

Purchase and use a 100% scent-free high SPF sunscreen that is specifically formulated for deer hunters?

I see a lot of sunscreen products that state frangrance or scent free but ultimately have a scent to them that might scare off your game.

I was out there in Montana on a deer hunt two weeks ago under a blaring sun for hours on end

And thought deer hunters especially need protection from skin damage and skin cancer due to the hours and days they spend in the extreme elements.

Thx for your opinion.

J

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good topic-I try to use sunscreen or SPF clothing at all times.

Unfortunately I believe it will be very difficult to have a sunscreen that is truly scent free. I use whatever seemingly has the least detectable scent to my nose.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clothing. Scent doesn’t matter outside of hunting but I’ve found proper clothing does a better job than sunscreen.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've never worn sunscreen in my life. Probably should, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Fowl Play

WKR
If a deer can smell sunscreen they will smell your scent as well, I would not be too worried about it.

Major tangent But… One of the few soapboxes I have is about sunscreen . Look up “sunscreen and benzene” and read all the medical papers about it. It is pretty crazy. One of the worst blood carcinogens known to man and many sunscreen companies have very high doses of that stuff in them. Buy “reef safe” brands. The whole idea behind “reef safe” in and of itself is crazy. Most sunscreens have so much benzene in them that even when the small amount you have on your skin is diluted in the ocean, it’s enough to kill the coral reefs. And we lather that stuff on our bodies. It’s insane. Arguably giving yourself blood or bone cancer to prevent skin cancer.

Better off cutting the sun with clothing. High altitude sun is no joke. They can smell you from farther than you can shoot, so wind is everything.

grfox92

WKR
I've never worn sunscreen in my life. Probably should, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Most sunscreen contains chemicals that are known human carcinogens, and to think the sun is going to give you cancer before those chemicals is anyone's guess.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a blonde with blue eyes (well used to be......now it's mostly white), so I try to use sunscreen as much as possible. I tried to go the scentless route for high altitude bowhunting, but eventually I just ignored it all and do my best with the wind that I can. Even with the scented sunscreen, playing the wind works.