100 vs 125 Grain Broadhead

I’m setting up my new bow and not sure what I should go with. I have a Hoyt Nitrux 70 lb maxed out. 30 inch draw. Shooting the Easton Axis 300. I threw a 100 grain field point on and my arrow weighed 466. Should I bump up to a 125 grain head? Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
I would for sure. That arrow is going to be screaming fast no matter what and a little more FOC can't hurt.. Might be a hair quieter too

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
In general, for an elk arrow, it seems to me like you are better off with additional weight inside the arrow then you are with a heavier broadhead. For example, running a 100g broadhead with a 25gr weight in the back of your insert would seem to have better dynamic force on the arrow when shot versus a 125g broadhead/tip with no added insert weight, correct?

OP
B
In general, for an elk arrow, it seems to me like you are better off with additional weight inside the arrow then you are with a heavier broadhead. For example, running a 100g broadhead with a 25gr weight in the back of your insert would seem to have better dynamic force on the arrow when shot versus a 125g broadhead/tip with no added insert weight, correct?
I will be hunting Whitetail. Unless a miracle happens and I draw a Pennsylvania Archery Tag.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hunting Whitetail. Unless a miracle happens and I draw a Pennsylvania Archery Tag.

Ohhh....466g is more then plenty for deer. If I was primarily a deer hunter, I would lean more toward speed to lessen the chance of error. My elk arrow is 540g at 260fps and ranging is extremely important. Smaller game...I would for sure be shooting like 425g.

A heavier arrow will penetrate deeper. If you make a bad shot you have a little bit of extra insurance with the 125 grain head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TannerS

FNG
Agreed w/ gretch6364 on the speed vs. weight for whitetail. Sounds like you have a great setup already for deer.

How long is your arrow? I shot a 300 axis at a 30” draw and 68lbs. and my arrow was about 29”. I actually had 50gr brass HIT inserts and 125gr tips for total weight about 510. It shot great. I used to hunt elk a lot and my arrows kept getting heavier each year; better penetration.

I do like the option of the 50/75 brass HIT. You can still shoot all your 100gr BH and still get the FOC and weight you want.

If only hunting whitetail, i’d shoot both and see which one shot/tuned better and if one was substantially quieter than another. It really won’t matter either way, for a while I was shooting a Halon5 with a 475g arrow with mechanicals, same draw and weight as you. That arrow was screaming and never had an arrow not pass through 10 or so deer anywhere were 10-65 yards. I like speed for whitetails, as long as arrow is over 450.

Jimbob

WKR
Last year I used a 100-grain head because it gave me the arrow specs I wanted and tuned with my bow.

This year I'm switching to a 125-grain head because I'm changing arrows and again this is what fits my set-up.

I like the idea that the 125-grain head has more material to maybe a little stronger.

JasonR1

FNG
I started with a shuttle T 100 grain and switched to the 125 for a larger cut diameter.

It's worked well for a number of elk and mule deer.

406unltd

WKR
Your spine might not hold up to that extra point weight. Not sure that will tune

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
I put an insert in the arrow and stick with 100’grain heads. More options. I use a 50 grain insert and a 100 grain head. But guys say heavier broadheads are more durable. Personal preference I think