10x42 around $1000

jt4

WKR
Looking for my first pair of good glass. The 8x42 diamondbacks I have now are fine for the treestand but give me a headache after a couple minutes.

I got the chance to compare leupold bx4, zeiss conquest, vortex razor (I know you either love or hate them) and slc (I don’t think I’m going to be able to swing this price). I liked the view through the conquest but it seemed like my eyes were basically touching the glass. Does anyone else have this issue? It’s almost like the eye cups don’t come out enough to get you far enough away. Am I crazy? Is this something that can be changed or is that just how they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10x42 Nikon M7, they make your eyeballs feel like they are getting laid. Swaro rep turned me on to them. Save the extra hype fee for some boots.

schmalzy

WKR
You can find Leica HD-R 2200s Geovids very close to that price if you’re patient. Call Doug at CameralandNY, he can help you find a lot of options in that range.

Matt G.

WKR
I would also look at the meopta meostar/cabelas euro or nikon monarch hg... you can try many of them away cabelas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
if you watch sales I think you could pick up a pair of vortex razors for around a grand.

I believe they would be at least worth looking at.

I would keep your eyes open and find a used set of SLCs. Other than that Meostars, Tract Toric, Maven B2s or Nikon HGs would be my pick.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I've read a lot about the mavens, but from what I've seen it looks like the B2 is a bit too bulky. The B1 was in consideration but i just haven't set up a demo yet to try them out.

As for the cabelas euro, maybe making a trip back to try them out is a good idea.

For those that mention other brands, if it was in your budget, would you still have gone with another pair over the SLC's or did it come down to just price?

Very happy with my vortex. Paid about that a few years back. They do military and first responder discounts if that applies. Never had to use them on my binos but their customer service is top notch. My range finder acted up on me in the middle of Season a few years ago and they sent me another, no questions asked, even before I sent in the old one so I wouldn’t be without one during season.

The best glass but a good value at their price points and a solid company to deal with.

I picked up a set of Maven b2 9x45 and have been very happy with them. Coming from Diamondbacks so obviously a big step. I heard the reviews that they were bulky but I think their very comparable to the Diamondbacks I was running in that regard. They're a little longer but they handle fine to me

Matt G.

WKR
I guess you need to think about the price vs how often they are used. I love the meopta and wish I could have the budget for the swaro but could not justify the difference. I also have hard time buying used stuff. get your hands on add many pairs as you can top see if it worth it to you. your money and your eyes only you can decide.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are many great options available to you in that price range for a 10x42:
Leica Trinovid
Meopta MeoStar
Steiner HX
GPO Passion HD
It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you, if you have a few minutes to give a call
Doug
516-217-1000

When I was making the same considerations, I included warranty and ease of warranty use. I wanted Leica but I’ve heard less then stellar things about their warranty. Then when I found an unused Maven B.2 for $750 on eBay, I couldn’t pass it up. Especially knowing if I have issues with them, maven will take care of me

NoWiser

WKR
You can get extended eyecups from Zeiss. They do help a bit, but I still ended up selling mine for SLCs.

Get a cash-back credit card with a $200.00 sign up bonus. Use it to buy SLCs and you'll be getting pretty close to hitting your budget if you can find the right deal.

Looking for my first pair of good glass. The 8x42 diamondbacks I have now are fine for the treestand but give me a headache after a couple minutes.

I got the chance to compare leupold bx4, zeiss conquest, vortex razor (I know you either love or hate them) and slc (I don’t think I’m going to be able to swing this price). I liked the view through the conquest but it seemed like my eyes were basically touching the glass. Does anyone else have this issue? It’s almost like the eye cups don’t come out enough to get you far enough away. Am I crazy? Is this something that can be changed or is that just how they are?

You're not crazy. They designed the conquests with great eye relief for eyeglass wearers but not enough eyecup for non-eyeglass wearers. There is a fix - you can call Zeiss and they will mail you, free of charge, a pair of extended eyecups that will solve the problem. I did this for mine and it worked great.

IMO the Conquest HD's are still tops in the $1K (new) price range, with the Monarch HG's and Meopta Meostar HD's a close second.

A few years back there was literally few if any quality optics in that price range but today there are quite a few. For $1k the Nikon Monarch HGs or Meopta Meostars would rise to the top of my short list. Would highly advise going to a quality birding or optics store and trying them before you buy. Everyone’s eyes are just a bit different - and after the list is whittled it down on optics another advantage is to test how they feel and handle.

Here’s a review of the two binos I mentioned above.