10x42 vs 10x50

IAboy92

FNG
Hey guys,

Wondering why so many people recommend the 10x42 binos as opposed to 10x50? Is it just the weight? The extra FOV seems to me like it would be an asset if you were going to do any serious glassing? I am specifically looking at the Vortex Crossfire. I know they are cheap and I know everyone says buy nice not twice, but it is what is going to get me in the woods this year and that's what matters most to me.

Thanks!

kiddogy

WKR
I would say mostly the weight and the cost.
I have 10x50s and like them but on certain hunts I wouldn't mind having 8x42s. the difference in magnification isn't really all that great between the two. probably ,the biggest difference one would notice is light gathering ability in low light scenerios.

this is assuming both are same types. some 8x42s are far superior to some 10x50s.

I know by your post you know this already but I will say it anyhow. IMHO you will be throwing your money away on the v crossfires.

before you do . IF you can afford it (or even if you can't) compare the vortex razors to the crossfires .
see the difference and then if you still want to choose cheap , I wish you good luck with them.

imo , good optics are THE single most important hunting item one will ever buy . more important even, then the weapon you choose

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
The Crossfire line is awful, Diamondbacks are a hugggeee step up for just a few more dollars. BTW, the Diamondback 10x42's have a wider FOV than the Crossfire 10x50's.

ChrisAU

WKR
And if you are stuck on Crossfires, the 10x42's have a wider FOV in that line than the 10x50's as well.

The Field of View on the two Crossfire models you are look at are close; 325' vs. 320'. I would not use that as a determining factor. If you are doing serious glassing, you'll be going very slowly and never notice 5' at 1000 yards. If you are glassing in the woods, you definitely will never notice the FoV difference.

Theoretically the 10x50 will gather light better than the 10x42. Really need to look through both under low light conditions to see if this actually materializes. I know my Swaro SLC 10x42 has no issues seeing well before legal light as well as in deep, dark timber; if a SLC 10x50 existed I do not know how much more usable light it could provide.

The 10vorx42 are quite a bit lighter (7 oz) than the 10x50. This does matter when it comes time to glass through them (assuming you will be holding them and not using a tripod).

OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
Thank you all very much for the help! I think you have talked me into the 10x42's and I will avoid the Crossfires. I like the Diamondbacks but I will also check out those Athlon's. gr8fuldoug, do those come with a warranty on them? One thing I really like about Vortex is their warranty. I have had a couple of friends have to send binos in because of their own mistakes and have had great service.

I’m a newbie to hunting but the price of the Athlon binos is what’s going to sell me on them.

boom

WKR
i regret my 10x50. physical size and heft. sitting with them on a tripod, no issues. the bigger physical dimensions are kinda nice on a tripod. i push them about with my face.

if i could do it all over again..and i asked if i could do it all over again,...and my wife said no. but i would get 10x42

Come on guys. The guy needs a budget friendly option. You don’t need $1000 Razors to hunt. Sorry. We don’t even know if the area he is hunting is open country or mostly wooded ridge what he is hunting.

FYI. If you search Bushnell Engage in this forum and others, you’ll find lots of excellent reviews comparing them to glass 3-5 times their cost. Amazon recently had some for $150.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A nice pair of 10x50 or 12x50s really lets you glass better. Especially at first and last night. The thing with binos that large, you’ll want to have them on tripod for long glassing sessions. Even short sessions holding up that much weight with that much magnification, your sight picture will get jumpy rather quickly.
With light weight 8x40 or 10x40 you can glass without a tripod much longer and they are easy to carry.
Personally, I carry a set of Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides in 12x50 in my FHF large chest harness. Don’t even notice them really, and love the way they glass on a tripod all day. Still light enough to glass by hand for a while as well and they didn’t break the bank cost wise. Probably the best glass for the price right now in my opinion.

Edit: There is a guy selling a pair of these exact binos barely used on here for $475 to your door. Insane deal on an amazing pair of binos. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-bx-4-12x50.144017/

kiddogy

WKR
i regret my 10x50. physical size and heft. sitting with them on a tripod, no issues. the bigger physical dimensions are kinda nice on a tripod. i push them about with my face.

if i could do it all over again..and i asked if i could do it all over again,...and my wife said no. but i would get 10x42
better to ask for forgiveness, then permission

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
One other thing not mentioned is the 10x50’s will reduce the hinge adjustment range (interpupilary distance) on the binos. My wife and my buddy couldn’t get 10x50’s ”down” small enough. For me they just worked collapsed all the way down. Vortex diamond backs by the way.

Due to breaking a pair just before this seasons hunt, I purchased some 10x42’s. I have been completely surprised and satisfied with them....fit your budget too....Bushnell Legend “L” series...ED prime glass, locking diopter, rainguard. (~$150) Two thumbs up from me. I can guarantee you it won’t be the binos keeping you from finding game.....

Know there are a lot of Vortex fans on this site but I think Doug is giving sound advice and a great recommendation with the Athlon 10x42s. When it comes to binos it really pays to compare before buying.

If you can wait till black Friday, there's a good chance you could save a nice chunk of money, or step up in quality for the same price. A year or two ago I got Diamondbacks 10x42 for half price, which came out to like $120 or $130.
Hard telling what deals will be around this year but if your looking to save some $ black Friday will probably be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was told to go with the 42s vs 50s and I did. I wish I would have gone with the 50s.