12 man tipi help

MTtrout

WKR
I would like to purchase a 12 man tipi to be used as a base camp for 4 guys and trying to get a good idea of usable floor space. Ideally we would like to have 4 regular size cots so gear could be stored underneath them, stove and a small table for food prep. Would that be doable with the 12? Seek Outdoors says yes and that’s the setup they personally use while Kifaru says no way and the 16 man would be the only option. Can anyone elaborate on this? What kind of setup have you used with four people? SO 12 person XL stove bundle deal is what I would like to get…trying to stay away from the footprint of the 16 and really like downsizing the SO 12 to 8 man option.
Thanks

That's what I have (SO 12 with XL stove). The most I've had in it on a hunt is 3 people and a fair amount of gear, including a table. Thinking back on the available room, I don't think that there would have been any problems with adding another person and cot.

Romo

FNG
12 man is palatial. Easy fits 2 men with cots and all gear. Also, hunted 8 man with 3 men and room to spare. I agree on a liner.

OP
MTtrout

MTtrout

WKR
Thanks it sounds like the 12 man is a go. AK Troutbum how do you like the xl stove? I'm still debating about the ti or going with the larger xl stainless steel. Has anyone else used a 4 man cots configuration with the 12?

I like the XL stove a lot, but I really don't have a whole lot to compare it to. A buddy of mine has a ti goat stove that I've used in the past but I really didn't care for it. I can't remember the model but the stove he had (also rectangular) was smaller than mine and had a very small door and only very small sticks and twigs would fit through. It constantly required feeding and although it heated his 8 person tipi up well, it was a bit of a PITA. The SO XL stove has a much larger door and will allow you to easily load it up and has a much longer burn time.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 61

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have done 4 and cots. It depends on height of cots, and size of table really. Since our zippers are pretty well covered that is usable space, and efficient for getting in and out. In a 12 can do a cot in each quarter of the tent, or two on a side. If the cots are not to tall you can do two more length wise with more of a spoke orientation.

Stove door opening construction and size certainly helps in fuel management and being able to get in decent size wood to get a long burn.

The holes of the door should go at the bottom, and the stove will burn more efficient with the pipe damper at the rear away from the door, although there may be some advantages to space usage by having the damper near the front.

http://seekoutside.com

The holes of the door should go at the bottom, and the stove will burn more efficient with the pipe damper at the rear away from the door, although there may be some advantages to space usage by having the damper near the front.

http://seekoutside.com
Funny you say that Kevin. You may have noticed in my pics of the stove burning outside, the pipe is installed by the door. This was the first time setting the stove up just to get a "break in" burn, and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention when I did it. My bad. As far at the pic in the tent, my buddy did that set up, so you can't pin that one on me. :)