12" rear bar?

180ls1

WKR
Anyone run a 12" rear bar stabilizer? I currently have a 10" mounted on the back of the riser and it has helped. I am thinking a 12" may even be better without being too big of a pain in the mountains (western hunting) but I am open to first-hand knowledge.

bat-cave

WKR
I love the way both 10" and 12" back bars feel, especially shooting in the wind. What I dislike is carrying / packing the darn thing. I'd be OK with it for tree stand hunting, but also feel less need as I'm not likely to shoot very far ... I started the past two Elk seasons with my back bar as it makes me a better shooters and by ~day 4-5 it's gone as it's a PITA (Harder to attach to a pack, heavier in the hand, something else to grab every passing branch/bush) for my style of western hunting.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I love the way both 10" and 12" back bars feel, especially shooting in the wind. What I dislike is carrying / packing the darn thing. I'd be OK with it for tree stand hunting, but also feel less need as I'm not likely to shoot very far ... I started the past two Elk seasons with my back bar as it makes me a better shooters and by ~day 4-5 it's gone as it's a PITA (Harder to attach to a pack, heavier in the hand, something else to grab every passing branch/bush) for my style of western hunting.
Thanks for the reply! So, my new bow is only 34" ATA and 3.9lbs bare. My old bow is 39" ATA and 4.5lbs. I'm also going to save weight on the accessories as well (8-12oz). I guess I am saying that because I don't mind packing a tank if I shoot it well, and I want to make sure this new setup shoots well since I have long shots.

Can you tell a difference with the 12" bar? I may actually be able to shed 1-2oz with that given it's a longer lever and I'll need less weight on the end?

bat-cave

WKR
Thanks for the reply! So, my new bow is only 34" ATA and 3.9lbs bare. My old bow is 39" ATA and 4.5lbs. I'm also going to save weight on the accessories as well (8-12oz). I guess I am saying that because I don't mind packing a tank if I shoot it well, and I want to make sure this new setup shoots well since I have long shots.

Can you tell a difference with the 12" bar? I may actually be able to shed 1-2oz with that given it's a longer lever and just deal with the added length.
I found the weight to be more noticeable over the extra 2" of the 12" bar. I hear you and for the same reason, I've started out carrying the backbar, my groups are noticeably better! I'm shooting an RX-4 Ultra, so also 34" ATA and I'm setup for accuracy versus weight savings as well. Just recognize that the heaviest thing on earth is that stupid ~6 lb bow once you've covered 6+ miles and a few thousand in vertical in Elk country and if you're not up to your ears in Elk, those extra few ounces can start to suck (perhaps I'm just a wimp!).

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Yeah no problems with a 12. You can use slightly less weight and get a similar balance.

Got it. Seems like 12" is about the most you could manage though correct? I cant imagine more than that.

So Brandon McDonald has a video on specifically this. He is a YouTube creator who is a big hunter with IMO the best content out there. He uses a 15” front bar and a 12” back bar from Cutter Stabilizers. I have the 12” and LOVE IT! It all comes down to weight and your specific setup. Brandon elk hunts with those long bars and does just fine. I, like him, are over 6 feet in height so the length is not too much to deal with.

Norm555

WKR
I run 12" front and 10" back. I've tried going with a 15" front and 12" back that just felt excessive to me personally. It's not much additional length so if it feels good to you I think you go for it.

I wouldn't be able to hunt with a 12" mounted on the back of the riser. I might be able to if mounted off the front stabilizer position. To meet it's just too much stuff. Last year I didn't bother to hunt with any bars. This fall I might or might not.

I actually don't know too many guys who can run much more than a 12" bar off the back of a bow. By the time you get weight on it they grow, then the qd and mount. My 12" on my open setup sets more than 15" off the bow.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
So Brandon McDonald has a video on specifically this. He is a YouTube creator who is a big hunter with IMO the best content out there. He uses a 15” front bar and a 12” back bar from Cutter Stabilizers. I have the 12” and LOVE IT! It all comes down to weight and your specific setup. Brandon elk hunts with those long bars and does just fine. I, like him, are over 6 feet in height so the length is not too much to deal with.

Just watched that video on 2x. Very helpful! I am 6'3" so I think I'll be just fine as well.

I run 12" front and 10" back. I've tried going with a 15" front and 12" back that just felt excessive to me personally. It's not much additional length so if it feels good to you I think you go for it.

Got it. I think that's where I am at. It's worth a shot and if it does not help then back to 10".