12v/Truck Fridge and Freezer

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to see if anyone is/has used one of these as a basecamp option.
40/50 quart size.
Many times ice replacement is several hours away.
Thinking power station in the 2k watts and solar to run.
Have generators but I'd like a quiet gas free alternative.
What do you have and how did it work?

R

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
We have been searching for a propane freezer preferably chest freezer. Options are extremely limited. I’m interested as well in what you find. Currently generator set up works, but if we pack one animal out and go back in it would be nice to not be worried about thawing as soon as gas runs out.

Titan

WKR
I have a Bougerv brand unit. 12v and 120v plugs come with it. Optional battery but I use a 1200whr power station. It runs a couple days on the power station without any issue.

You could get a 48qt and the power station for roughly $600 total. Jupitek power station comes with a 120w solar panel as well.

Beendare

WKR
I use this one in my solar powered trailer. Not a lot of room in it- but it keeps stuff cold, and meat frozen
Euhomy 12v cooler

It doesn’t pull much once stuff inside is cold, the compressor cycles maybe every 1-2 hours For a few minutes.

OP
R

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bougerv brand unit. 12v and 120v plugs come with it. Optional battery but I use a 1200whr power station. It runs a couple days on the power station without any issue.

You could get a 48qt and the power station for roughly $600 total. Jupitek power station comes with a 120w solar panel as well.
How well do you think the solar can keep up with the cooler watt consumption?

R

BBob

WKR
At one time I had an Indel marine box that was ~40L. Expensive but very energy efficient. It ran no problem off a dual battery bank and a single solar panel on top of the camper.
It was a variable speed compressor and holding plate system. It would automatically ramp up the compressor to cool the holding plate to store cold when solar output was high. Worked very well. I should have never sold it.

fmyth

WKR
I bought a Massimo CX 40 12v fridge/freezer from Costco in 2020. I use it all summer long in my RV and then at base camp for all of my elk/deer hunts in AZ/CO/WY. I run the 12v fridge/freezer off a Jackery 290 w a Jackery 100w solar panel in camp. I also charge my phone and gps from the Jackery. We do keep a 7CF chest freezer and a Honda EU2000 generator in camp and run it for a couple hours a night once we make a kill. I'll plug the Jackery in to the gen to top it off while the freezer is running. I pre make all of my dinner meals, put them in vac seal bags and freeze them flat. All of the meals go into the 12v cooler w my eggs, lunch meat, cheese, coffee creamer etc.
Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 1.10.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-26 at 1.09.39 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 12.48.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 12.48.49 PM.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have the ARB, it was a game changer for my trips. I have only ran it off the car battery. I can leave the vehicle off for 48 hours and it still works.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should start my own thread but if anyone has advice on a freezer unit that would hold a elk+ is my interest. Sorry if adding to this existing conversation is out of line. I like seeing options I have not before

We have an Iceco and it's awesome for trips. You can set it down to 0 degrees so can freeze stuff solid for trips. I plug it into my little pop-up camper and it'll run for a 10 day trip non-stop. We also take it to our camp on the coast, put all the stuff in there we don't want swimming in water with the beer.

ICECO JP42 Pro, 3 in 1 Refrigerator, 12 Volt Portable Fridge Freezer Cooler, Powered by SECOP, Rotomolded Construction, 0℉~50℉, DC 12/24V, AC 110/240V (Blue) https://a.co/d/da2eQTE