High end coolers & why I don't own one.....

robtattoo

WKR
So, I was part of the EPIC meltdown that was the Atlas Group Buy. For the first time ever, I actually considered spending my hard-earned on something, basically, frivolous. I was utterly crestfallen when it all went tits up.
I always considered a 'good' cooler to be something of a non-necessity, as up until 4, maybe 5 years ago most of my hunting was done within either a few miles of the house, or within spittin' distance of a power source/ranch house/town etc. 99% of my hunts were, at most, 3 days.

Since discovering (by complete accident) at age 43, that I actually aren't as lazy & unmotivated as I've always considered myself to be, & spending more & more time is out-of-the-way places, for longer & longer periods chasing ruminants, I figured that the time was ripe for a good, expensive cooler.

Atlas took a shit.

Dammit.

That left me, last week, on my way to a 4 day hunt at a remote cabin in the back country of Tennesee's Cumberland Plateau. Chances of scoring on a whitetail or 4 were pretty damn high & the chances of needing to keep many & various adult beverages at sub-arctic temperatures were virtually guaranteed.
So, on my supply run to Walmart, I grabbed up a 70qt Coleman Extreme after reading lots of sterling reviews & claims of Yeti™ like ice retention.
The big sticker on the front claims it'll keep ice for 5 days.

Okay, Sally. 5 days of ice for $58.......riiiiight.

I didn't intend to pre-cool it, that itself was pure accident & happenstance. I'd pre-filled several pint, quart & 2 liter bottles & frozen them. The morning I was due to set off (couldn't leave until after work. "Be self-employed": They said......) The Wife told me to get the damn things outta the feezer to make room for other things. Groceries or somesuch nonsense, I should suspect. Into the cooler they went & sat there, baking in the 78° weather. I actually half expected them to be a little melted by 5pm, as my previous experience with Coleman's other coolers has not been great.
Come 5 of the evening clock I scooped up my junk, threw it in the truck & off I went, stopping on the way to fill up with 16lb of gas station Ice & 18 bottles of gas station beer.

4 days of unsuccessful (due to incompetence) hunting later......

There's still ice in the cooler. Like, all the ice. Maybe an inch of water sloshing around in the bottom, but basically ice.

The cooler's been sat in the bed of my truck ever since, under a black camper shell. Daytime temperatures are unseasonably warm & have hovered around 76° during the day & dropping off to the low 40s at night. I've not done anything sciencey, just checked it every day & left it open for about 5ish minutes. I reckon that's about the grand total of open-time yer average ice device is going to get per day.

So far, I'm at 9 days. NINE FREAKING DAYS!! There's about 6" of water with 4" of Ice floating around & all the bottles are around 50-70% solid, depending on size.

I. Am. Astonished.

I'm not going to try the 'Throw it out of a moving truck at 45mph' test, because it'll break & I'm cool with that. Being a dumbass SHOULD cost you money (if it isn't painful...) & I don't want to buy another just to prove a point.

No, I don't get the cool Yeti™ decal to put on my truck, I'll never be a 'pro-team' member & MTN Ops will probably ban me from their Instagram page (I was actually almost sponsored by Goodwill once.....mmmmm.....cheap wool sweaters) but I do have a very functional, budget pleasing, comparative performing ice retention device & I couldn't be happier!

I did the same thing as you after the epic melt down. I have several larger coolers that work and don't weigh 80lbs when there empty. **** atlas and the rest of that shit

dotman

WKR
Yup my big cooler for years has been a Coleman Extreme but I also use smaller coolers more often en and they get beat up easier then the big ones when in a truck box.

After the Atlas BS I found that Canyon Coolers has a Boneyard, I picked up a 35qt which is pretty much the same size as a Yeti 40qt for $190 to my door. My original order with Atlas was for their 30qt and 70qt, so I used this refunded money to get a 35qt Canyon and pocket the remainder in savings and just keep using my 120qt Coleman.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the build quality of the Canyon Cooler, even though they considered it a 2nd, there isn't a flaw in it that would if kept me from buying it off the shelf. I'm really happy with this product and have zero worries of it breaking or getting beat up. It's worth a look if anyone wants to get a rotomolded cooler and I highly recommend the boneyard for savings on the cooler and free shipping.

Ok so I'm out of the loop. Did Atlas take a bunch of money from people and then go tits up before the orders were shipped?

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Sorta-kinda. Ish.
They basically used our money to fund another order for a second buyer. They kept putting our shipping date back & lying about the status of our order & when folks started asking for some kind of accountability & trying to find out exactly what the he'll was going on since (I estimated) he had at least 20 grand of our folding, he flipped his shit & told us to pound sand. It's taken some guys months of credit card disputes & bank disputes to get their cash back.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

Beendare

WKR
No doubt those Yeti style coolers are built better....but those 5 day coolers do a heck of a good job.

When i can go to Walmart in the off season [now] and buy Igloo or Coleman 5 day coolers for $22....with the equal Yeti being $450+.....its a no brainer, I bought 4 a couple years ago.

Edit; but I do like the Yeti commercials- grin Functionally, i like the med size coolers. I don't know how I would get one of those big coolers in the truck if it were full on a solo hunt. Plus, having a couple med size coolers a guy can put stuff like drinks in one and meat in another. ...so one cooler isn't being continually opened all the time. That opening and closing a lot will kill the effectiveness of even the best coolers.

Last edited:
yeti has done an amazing job of marketing a plastic cooler as a status symbol. you can't tell me there aren't guys rolling around out there with yeti stickers on their trucks and yeti hats but don't own the cooler.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've always kept Igloo 5 day coolers in the bed of my truck. The last one I bought was over $80 at Academy. I've grown tired of the broken latches and hinges. They also tend to breakdown in the sun and Southern heat. I recently bought a RTIC, my first rotomolded cooler. I'll know more about it after a season worth of use. I got a 65 qt for $159.99 to my door. I hope it plans out.

Tbuckus

WKR
I agree that the extreme coolers are a great deal. I have one 48qt
But I did buy a igloo Rotomolded cooler after the atlas debacle and took it elk hunting.
After a 10 day hunt, with temps up in the 60's during the latter portion, I still had plenty of ice jugs left to use in the cooler for the meat and jugs for the other totes of meat that didn't fit.
My buddy has a 120qt extreme that he bought and had lice left, but he also stuffed it with more that twice the ice.
My analysis. Both did the same but mine took up half the space.

I finally jumped into buying two yeti coolers after a hot archery trip to the Missouri Breaks left us running to town every other day to buy ice. It probably doesn't matter which brand you purchase but I deemed the investment worth it. Especially when we were breaking hinges and lids on cheap coolers every year or so as well. Just was enough to send me over the edge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You paid $58 for their 70qt model? Around here the 120qt Extreme 6 goes for $57, and is a great deal. I still use my 200qt behemoth IRP Marine cooler, but I always take the Coleman to elk camp as well. I had an Igloo for over 20 years that worked well too, but the newer Igloo's are crap. 120qt is about as small as I go.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
The rotomolded coolers are worth it if you use them everyday, I use mine everyday and leave it in the bed of my truck every day. I have spent more on "extreme" coolers in a year than I have on my rotomolded. Average hunters who might need a cooler two or three times a year for 5-9 days, can get away with coolers like the extreme.
No I don't have a yeti,

Thanks,
Boswell

Rizzy

WKR
I got a big white Coleman from Walmart over 10 years ago, hinges broke years ago too. A bungee cord and/or duct tape holds the lid on. It holds ice longer than I hunt, but I don't travel across the country to hunt either. It has been in the back of my truck since September, like last year and years before. Got my money's worth :)
So is a chest freezer cheaper than a Yeti?

dotman

WKR
I got a big white Coleman from Walmart over 10 years ago, hinges broke years ago too. A bungee cord and/or duct tape holds the lid on. It holds ice longer than I hunt, but I don't travel across the country to hunt either. It has been in the back of my truck since September, like last year and years before. Got my money's worth :)
So is a chest freezer cheaper than a Yeti?

That is kind of funny, a yeti similar in size to a small chest freezer would be well north of $1k, so not only could you buy a chest freezer but a generator for less.

Clarktar

WKR
I have wondered many times why I don't buy a used smaller sized chest freezer of craigslist and just fill it with ice and leave in truxk for hunting....

Maybe I will.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I have wondered many times why I don't buy a used smaller sized chest freezer of craigslist and just fill it with ice and leave in truxk for hunting....

Maybe I will.

A guy could also add extra insulation to the outside, like some rigid foam panels