14 Day Stone Sheep Gear List - Resident DIY, Solo, Early August

Ram94

WKR
List looks good! Couple of questions for you,

1. Why are you bringing sunglasses again if you didn’t use them last time?

2. Curious why you aren’t bringing the Ambient hoody this year?

Thanks!

OP
StopMakingSense
List looks good! Couple of questions for you,

1. Why are you bringing sunglasses again if you didn’t use them last time?

2. Curious why you aren’t bringing the Ambient hoody this year?

Thanks!

I didn't use the sunglasses last time because it was so rainy. We have some glacier travel (crampons added just now) and I will definitely need the sunglasses.

I'm not bringing the Ambient because the Sitka Evo has been more versatile for my pursuits in the early season. Bugs, glassing on ridges, light rain etc...

If it were later September I'd probably be bringing the Ambient as well.

I don't have much of a critique, but I'd love to see a what a days worth of your food looks like. I struggle in that department on pretty much every hunt.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
15 days, early September, BC resident, Stone's Sheep, fly-in/out ...

you flying out of the spot your flying into? Moving lots with camp on your back or day trips out from the tent? this changes how I pack. EX. I am going with a Durston trecking pole tent that is just over 2 pounds. It is with me most days so I can ditch the sil tarp. The outer tent sets up in seconds for a glassing shelter. Those hillibergs are bomb proof but I wouldn't want to pack one for myself. Missing binos on the list? I would take a few more bullets if solo or at least stash some with the beer at the lake

Last edited:
Flying in and out of the same spot. First day hike of about 5 miles and 1500' elevation gain to out of the trees. Generally, camp in one spot for a couple of days with day hikes from there - depending on terrain, weather, sheep etc. - then re-locate for a few more days. Rinse and repeat. I've used a lighter tent for years. High winds - even at lower elevations - had me holding my breath and counting my lucky stars many times that the tent would survive. With the Soulo, I can camp up high and have peace of mind that I won't be blown off the mountain. Binos not on the list because I don't carry them in my pack, they're on a harness. I bring a box of cartridges, re-check the rifle for accuracy after we land, then set off with # of cartridges listed. Never had any issues doing it that way. I've taken 2 sheep, 2 shots each. I'm confident carrying 6 is plenty. There's always some extra food and other supplies left back at the landing location. I hope this helps.

i d like some details on your food if you do not mind.
Rotating through the following:

Breakfasts - (cold) - variety of granolas w/milk powder, coffee.
(hot) - variety of oatmeals with added nuts, berries, seeds, almond butters, coffee.
Snacks/lunches - variety of Stinger Waffles, sesame snaps, macadamia nuts, cashews, banana chips, Pro Bars, Eatmores, homemade trail mix, BioSteel (electrolyte powder)
Suppers - variety of Peak Refuel meals w/added olive oil.

Average calories per day - 2950.

I hope this is helpful.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider

(hot) - variety of oatmeals with added nuts, berries, seeds, almond butters, coffee.
Snacks/lunches - variety of Stinger Waffles, sesame snaps, macadamia nuts, cashews, banana chips, Pro Bars, Eatmores, homemade trail mix, BioSteel (electrolyte powder)

I hope this is helpful.
it is thank you very much.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider

I hope this is helpful.
it is. thank you.

OP
StopMakingSense
Saw a ton of country and 13 rams, nothing legal though. Big takeaway from this hunt was how much ground we put down every day. With stone sheep we picked apart the terrain last year heavily and took our time. With dall sheep we just burned leather looking for white dots, I almost wore out a new pair Zamberlan 2092’s.

Dropping as much weight as possible for next year. Taking some notes from @B_Reynolds_AK and splitting up shareable gear with my buddy.

Still trying to see if I can squeeze in one more fly in trip before the season ends with this LEH tag.