14 NR Colorado Points

Coho

FNG
Any thoughts on how to use them? Rifle or muzzie. Seems like no man's land...

Following...I'm in the same boat point wise. I keep building cause I have other hunts planned out for the next few years. I could be wrong and just wasting money, but I think it's nice to have in the back pocket.

Krolly

FNG
I'm with you, @ 19 pts. Not a lot of options in that range. As everyone says, the longer we wait the worse it will be. I have not experienced a Muzzleloader or rut hunt and might lean that way.

bz_711

WKR
For me - I would find a good MZ tag in the 10-12 pt range. With the new tag allocation %'s a tag that was 13 or 14 PP last year likely won't be drawn with 14PP this year.

Good Luck!

Gerbdog

WKR
Some good advice here, things are changing in CO after this year and will be hard to predict what direction they will go. Hold them... spend them... its hard to say. Your definitely in no mans land as far CO points go though.... the super quality hunts are gonna be out of reach probably for the rest of forever if your aiming at the top.... but dont over look some of those units in the 9-12 range, they hold plenty of elk.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy had 12 points going into the draw last year. He decided to burn them on a muzzleloader tag that he could've drawn with a few less points, but it was nice going into the draw knowing he should get the tag and we started planning immediately. We ended up having an awesome hunt and an amazing experience. That being said we both think it wasn't worth waiting that long for the tag even though he killed by far his biggest bull.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah lots of no man’s lands point holders these days… best have a plan and execute. If I wasn’t born and raised in Co, I don’t think I would be investing in hunting here… we are in a bad place, and unless we get some kind of sportsman friendly gov next gubernatorial election we are screwed… Co is Competing with WA, OR, and CA on who can drive off the cliff the fastest. Oh and don’t wait too long, when the wolves take hold, it might totally change the landscape especially the “high point northwest units” then you will have a bunch of people who waited in line for nothing

14 NR points? Man, you've got alot of options. Do the research. Going forward things aren't gonna get any better for NR hunters. You could draw a good muzzleloader hunt at a decent time of the year.

ckleeves

WKR
IMO no man’s land for non-res elk points runs from about 8 to 17 points. There are a handful of tags in that range that are decent but it’s not many. One muzzy @ 15, one muzzy @11, archery @12 and a handful of others that I’m not familiar with. Most of the muzzy tags below that threshold aren’t really limited units your just getting great season dates but it’s still more then likely going to be pretty crowded and not a lot of mature bulls.

Whenever I go thru non-res odds for my non-res friends I’m a little disgusted but that’s what happens when you can hunt every year and still build points.

Rado

FNG
With those PPs the tag allotment is still in the 80:20, [Page 4 of the Regs] so last year's Stats should still be in range.
This isn't exactly accurate. 80/20 cutoff is at 6 points based on resident draw. For example, EM02001M drew out at 11 points last year for Non-RES, but at 3 points for RES. That tag was 65/35 last year, but will be 75/25 this year.

Things are going to start getting crazy with wolves now on the ground. People with high points are going to start using them. There will be plenty of 10+pp used in 0-5pp units don't be surprised is there are 20+pp spent on those same 0-5pp units. There will be less tags available for those of us with 0-5pp as the higher point holders will be taking them but that is perfectly fine as that is how the system was designed.

They want a chance at a good representative animal before they are all gone. Deer and elk alike. The next 5 years is going to be interesting.

That's why I spent my RES 13pp in 2022 and my Sister spent her RES 12pp in 2023. We both killed 300" class bulls. No regrets

Elknut53

FNG
I have 12 pp as a non resident. I have a few areas that I have researched I wouldn't mind burning them on for a muzzleloader tag this year. If anyone wants to PM me and talk Colorado elk options that would be great. I'm primarily an archery Elk hunter but have always thought a muzzleloader hunt in Colorado would be fun.

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
All depends on what you want out of your hunt. If it were me...I would probably find the best archery or muzzy tag I could find and plan to have lots of time on it chasing screaming bulls. Good luck!

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting pretty fed up with CO. Two years ago I was told I had a 75% chance to draw with 25 NR points....and didn't. Last year I tried a different hunt with apparently the same odds.....nope! So here we go again 27 NR points trying a muzzy hunt this time. I'm prepared this time to not get my tag, but hope I'm wrong.

EdP

WKR
Go get you a Co elk before the wolves knock the population down or the new anti-hunting commissioners wreck hunting in Co.