Another WY NR Pref Point Dilemma Thread

RedSnake

FNG
Looking for advice on next planning my elk hunt…

Im a 50 year old Texan sitting on 5 points. Before the new Gen Area regs were passed, I was planning on building to near max points over next 10 years and hunt a premier LQ area (16,100, 17 etc) and splurge on a private land/outfitter as a 60th bday gift to myself. My fear is with point creep I’ll never catch up and will have wasted a lot of time. I wish my work sched allowed me the flexibility of multiple trips to WY or a prolonged hunt to learn a unit now, but the time and distance doesnt give me that chance — so I feel like a hunt with an outfitter seems to make the most sense.

I’ve hunted the Thorofare (incredible and a must do if you haven’t), fought off a few Grizz and saw a dozen more, and lost my 6x6 beyond the park boundary. Hunted NM and got a 280ish 6x7. So Im looking for a legit chance at a 320-340.

In an ideal world, my next hunt would be
- 320+
- rifle
- lodge (would do wall tent, cabin, motel etc)
- no grizz

Budget is not necessarily an issue but I’m not willing to plunk down the big $$ for a commissioners tag.

Do I burn my points in the next year or two on a Gen Area? Any recommendations on areas? Any feedback on Skyline Outfitters in 129/117?

-or-

Do I keep building points for a high end hunt in the future somewhere like the Wagonhound?

-or-

Do I bale on Wy and do a NM LO tag?

Thx

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
You'll likely never catch a "high end" unit. There's over 43,000 point holders with more points than you and it would take a long time to burn through those to get you to the top. If you really want to hunt, I'd do a general tag on private land with an outfitter or a good LO tag in NM.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

You’ll never catch up. Get on the waiting list at Triple Three Outfitters. You’ll get what you’re after and Phil is a class act.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Max elk points is currently 18?
Will anyone with single digit points "catch up"???
I'd use your 5 points, go hunt as soon as you can draw a Gen tag then pray for a random LE tag in the future while hunting NM LO tag. The random draw is probably better odds than catching up on points for a premier unit unless you are in kindergarten.

Cbcraft1

FNG
Redsnake, we are in the exact same boat. I'm a 50 yr old Texan with 5 points. Have my name in with Triple Three. Hunters Domain based out of East TX is a good spot to look at LO NM tags. I'm going to go General WY 2025 and shoot for LO this year.

Cbcraft1

FNG
Not to be negative but I put a call into Phil today. No answer but the answering machine says that if you are calling for elk that they are not taking any further request. They have all the hunters on the waitlist that they can handle.

Not to be negative but I put a call into Phil today. No answer but the answering machine says that if you are calling for elk that they are not taking any further request. They have all the hunters on the waitlist that they can handle.
Not surprising. How many points do you have? If its 10 plus I may be able to help.