16" deer gun

The best overall choice is .223. Inside 300 yards, you could even have the barrel shortened. A 13.9" or 14.5" with pinned suppressor mount would shave a little length without impacting ballistics.

I like the 6.8, but it's a dead cartridge with poor bullet selection. Don't go there. 6mm ARC would be my second choice. Instead of .243, consider the 6mm Creedmoor.

Long Cut

WKR
The best overall choice is .223. Inside 300 yards, you could even have the barrel shortened. A 13.9" or 14.5" with pinned suppressor mount would shave a little length without impacting ballistics.

I like the 6.8, but it's a dead cartridge with poor bullet selection. Don't go there. 6mm ARC would be my second choice. Instead of .243, consider the 6mm Creedmoor.
This. Short barrel AR in .223/5.56 even with a suppressor and adjustable stock is compact, low recoil for quick follow-up shots and has proven to be extremely lethal with the proper bullet & shot placement.

My main deer rifle is now a CVA Scout single shot 6.5CM because of its compactness. 38” in overall length and 7.4# setup with 8 bullets and a knife in the stock pouch.
An AR15 will be my other deer rifle for reasons above.

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve debated putting one these together for an easy truck / farm gun that doesn’t leave. How have you liked it
Don’t own a CVA Scout in .300BLK but I do own the Scout in 6.5CM. It quickly became my favorite deer hunting rifle.

Extremely compact at 38” overall with a 16” barrel, phenomenal trigger, accurate and fun to shoot. I bought it as a backup/truck gun, it’s now my go-to deer rifle.

KHNC

WKR
So, did you go with the RS Special? Obviously, the best choice. :)

180ls1

WKR
If your 308 isn't cutting it for dropping them on that distance I'd move up to 338 class or higher, not down. Also, research high shoulder shots.

Bluefish

WKR
If you really want subsonic, I would go 45-70. It is still lethal at 300 yards, just lots of drop. Velocity loss is a lot less below sonic velocity. Only way to increase energy for subs is heavier. Factory ammo as well. If not subsonic, then about any cartridge will work.

I don’t know what else you have or the action style you prefer but I love my 6.5 Grendel and I just built a 450 Bushmaster .. both AR’s