162gr ELD-X or SST for Eastern Moose

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I have an eastern moose hunt coming up in September (Newfoundland) and would be interested in everyone’s thoughts on what would be better for moose; a Hornady ELD-X vs. a SST, both 162gr. I’d be shooting this out of my .280 AI. These are the bullets I currently have for hand loads, so, given the difficulty in finding components, I’d like to keep the discussion to these two bullets. Thanks for the insight.

Caleb777

FNG
I have been using Hornady Precision Hunter ELDX 200 grain in my 300WM for a few years now. Definitely not my favorite performing bullet. Amazing on deer size critters. But an elk I shot in 2019 wasn’t great. Lead core separated from the jacket. Didn’t hit a rib, bullet found on opposite side hide. So two notes can be taken from this depending on your idea of effective. One being, all the energy was transferred to the elk due to the bullet (or fragments of rather) staying in my elk. Two, considering a rib was not hit, I should’ve blown through both sides with the cheapest hunting rounds I could find…in my opinion. Let’s just call it $50/box…I was disappointed to see such fragmentation. Keep in mind the shot was at 215 yards…far from the peak velocity of the cartridge. If I didn’t have so much of it laying around, I’d be trying out something with a Nosler Partition loaded in it. Or any other bonded bullet. Take it for what it’s worth, I think you may want bonded bullets when tackling moose. Especially when using a cartridge like a .280AI. Best of luck in Newfoundland!!

hodgeman

WKR
I wouldn't prefer either of those for a moose. Forced to, I'd take the EDLX and be picky about my shots- broadside behind the shoulder only. That bullet doesn't penetrate well and can't be relied upon for shoulder shots.

I've used Accubonds on all my moose, with no complaints at all.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I agree with @thinhorn_AK, as I wouldn’t use either of the bullets you mentioned. While either would likely be fine on a broadside shot behind the shoulder, a shot that is quartered to or quartered away is a different story.

Have you asked your guide what the average shot range is? I doubt that you will need a long range bullet. I have shot four moose with a rifle and, they have all been under 100 yards, with three of those within 50 yards. BTW, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a 300 WM that had been intended for a sheep turned out to be a darn poor choice for me on a moose. I am guessing Ballistic Tips perform similarly to ELD-Xs and SSTs.

I really would urge you to reconsider and use a stouter bullet.

I have some 200 grain ELD-X bullets I plan to load up for my 300 Win Mag. I really like the performance of the SSTs but I don’t believe Hornady makes them in a 180+ grain 30 caliber option. With the success I have had on whitetail with the SST bullet in my .270 and 6.5 I wanted to stay with a Hornady bullet, but have been recommended by many have recommended Nosler bullets. Mainly Accubonds. But I can find a bunch of Partition bullets at the local Sportsman’s Warehouse I may go with them.

On a side note, I am going on the same hunt in October. Where are you going in Newfoundland? Outfitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your ever in doubt, Barnes and be done. They fly great just don’t have the big bc. Something in the 150 range would be perfect for that 280ai. Best wishes on your hunt.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I have some 200 grain ELD-X bullets I plan to load up for my 300 Win Mag. I really like the performance of the SSTs but I don’t believe Hornady makes them in a 180+ grain 30 caliber option. With the success I have had on whitetail with the SST bullet in my .270 and 6.5 I wanted to stay with a Hornady bullet, but have been recommended by many have recommended Nosler bullets. Mainly Accubonds. But I can find a bunch of Partition bullets at the local Sportsman’s Warehouse I may go with them.

On a side note, I am going on the same hunt in October. Where are you going in Newfoundland? Outfitter?

I’m going with Deep Country Lodge. This was a Christmas present from my wife in 2019, but has been delayed twice (Covid and birth of a child). Communication has been great through the delays and looks like they have a high success rate. Super excited.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I’ll look into Barnes, but I have given up hope on trying to find any Noslers. Any specific suggestion on Barnes? If there any leads on Noslers it would be appreciated.

I’m going with Deep Country Lodge. This was a Christmas present from my wife in 2019, but has been delayed twice (Covid and birth of a child). Communication has been great through the delays and looks like they have a high success rate. Super excited.

What part of Newfoundland?

ColeyG

WKR
I've been shooting and reloading the ELD-X in my .300WM (200gr) and 6.5CM (143gr) for a few years now and have been quite happy with how quickly it makes things dead.

The 200gr out of my .300WM made this big-bodied bull dead in a few steps after a single shot to the front shoulder, 150-ish yards. I didn't recover the bullet the the wound channel was plenty deep for my liking.

I haven't had any fragmentation that others speak of in the other animals I've taken with these bullets, Dall sheep and a handful of deer. Passthrough shots don't seem quite as common with these bullets, but I am OK with that as I don't mind dumping all of that energy in the animal.

2022-01-10_9-56-38.jpg

I've been shooting and reloading the ELD-X in my .300WM (200gr) and 6.5CM (143gr) for a few years now and have been quite happy with how quickly it makes things dead.

The 200gr out of my .300WM made this big-bodied bull dead in a few steps after a single shot to the front shoulder, 150-ish yards. I didn't recover the bullet the the wound channel was plenty deep for my liking.

I haven't had any fragmentation that others speak of in the other animals I've taken with these bullets, Dall sheep and a handful of deer. Passthrough shots don't seem quite as common with these bullets, but I am OK with that as I don't mind dumping all of that energy in the animal.

View attachment 366218
I like this. Where was this brute taken?

Caleb777

FNG

View attachment 366218
Awesome moose! This thread is a perfect example of everyone having different experiences with a particular product. The best testing is in the field. 👍🏻 What works for you may not work for me. But that’s the fun of it.

Joelweb

FNG
I have an eastern moose hunt coming up in September (Newfoundland) and would be interested in everyone’s thoughts on what would be better for moose; a Hornady ELD-X vs. a SST, both 162gr. I’d be shooting this out of my .280 AI. These are the bullets I currently have for hand loads, so, given the difficulty in finding components, I’d like to keep the discussion to these two bullets. Thanks for the insight.
For a big, heavy boned critter like a moose, I'd go with a tough, controlled expansion bullet, like a Nosler Partition or Accubond, or a monometal bullet. I could see the ELD-X and SST fragmenting quickly and failing to penetrate.

Used commercial 178 gr ELD-X out of a 308 Win on a water buffalo. One shot through the lungs and the other though the chest. It walked a few yards, laid down, and died in short order. No exit wound but off-side ribcage was seriously bruised.

This was an animal significantly closer in size to a bull moose than a bull elk.

Caleb777

FNG
Used commercial 178 gr ELD-X out of a 308 Win on a water buffalo. One shot through the lungs and the other though the chest. It walked a few yards, laid down, and died in short order. No exit wound but off-side ribcage was seriously bruised.

This was an animal significantly closer in size to a bull moose than a bull elk.
That bullet is probably traveling slower than a 300 WM too which played in your favor there. I just think the bullet struggles when pushed from the magnums

GotDraw?

WKR
I once read a hunting account, can't recall where...

Hunter got a solid shot at a stud of bull, the bull's hide was covered in dried, caked mud and when the hunter shot, the bullet imploded on the dry mud and the animal walked away.

Any bullet will work, but if this is an important hunt then buy your bullets for the 5% chance you'll need superior penetration so we all aren't reading a sad story later.

JL

That bullet is probably traveling slower than a 300 WM too which played in your favor there. I just think the bullet struggles when pushed from the magnums
I know the bullet was traveling slower than a 300 WM at comparable distances. But folks on this forum tend to express their frustration about the ELD-X's ineffectiveness on a variety of game. There has not been nearly as much conversation about caliber, grains, impact velocities, impact location, etc. which should happen.

I merely was pointing out that this oft maligned bullet can effectively kill game significantly larger than a bull elk. Doesn't make it the right choice for all scenarios but that magical bullet does not exist (despite what marketing groups claim).