1920s Old Mexico Sheep Hunting Story

Wanted to share a story from a book I read while visiting my wife’s family farm over Thanksgiving called “Afield with J. Frank Dobie”.

The author wrote extensively about the Southwest, ranching and hunting, and this was my first time reading any of his work. In the book, there is a great story of hunting desert sheep in the late 1920s. I won’t give away the story but it covers border crossings, hunting while there was a minor revolution going on in Mexico as well the pain and suffering (and fun) of hunting in cold winter with not much more than a 30-30, some beans to eat, getting water from cactus and riding a few old ragged horses. The story paints a great picture where you can imagine yourself hunting out there with the Mexican vaquero cowboys.

Overall great story of adventure and sheep hunting in old Mexico from another era long before all the comforts and gear we enjoy today. I definitely recommend it if you like these kind of stories.

Attachments

• IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 41
OP
bluemaroon
Also, there is another chapter in the book that tells a story of hunting mountain lions around the Gila River in the Winter during that same time period with dogs and cowboys.

Those boys and dogs were tough back then!