1996 RAV4 2D AWD Manual....Thoughts?

ewade07

WKR
So, I have been looking for one of these older model (Gen 1) RAV4s for quite sometime. I love the look of them and the functionality. I was doing some web sleuthing and stumbled upon a 2 door version. Its a manual with only 118k miles. I've conversed with the guy and he has sent me pictures and videos and it looks like its in pretty darn good shape. He has even offered to meet me halfway with the vehicle and sell it for $2500. I know these vehicles are getting harder and harder to find and it being a 2 door is ever more rare. Am i crazy for thinking about pulling the trigger on this?! Are there any Gen 1 owners out there?

wyosteve

WKR
A good friend of mine had one of that vintage. Only negative was that it was pretty gutless and had trouble keeping speed up hills in Wyo. wind. She put over 200k trouble free miles on it though.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
A good friend of mine had one of that vintage. Only negative was that it was pretty gutless and had trouble keeping speed up hills in Wyo. wind. She put over 200k trouble free miles on it though.
Not too worried about the gutless aspect. You're not going to get much out of a 2.0 engine regardless! I would fully expect to get over 200k mile on it, from what I've read these engines are pretty stellar!

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
I have an apples to oranges comparison. Take it for what it's worth, which isn't much. I had a 1994 Toyota Pickup 2wd with the 2.0 manual transmission and it was still running strong in 2010 when I upgraded. Definitely not much power, but fuel economy in the mid 20's and plenty reliable if you take care of it.

I think for the price you're getting it's a good deal. If you end up not liking it I bet it wouldn't be hard to get your money back out of it.

Being that it's a manual I would check the condition of the clutch or ask when/if it was changed last. In those older models I believe you have to lower the transmission as well as lower the motor in order to change it which might cost you what you are going to pay for it, or be a bear of a DIY job unless you have a shop. Otherwise that seems like an ok deal to me if it's in decent shape.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was the 1st gen a true 4wd or just awd? If 4wd it could be fun off road with that shower wheelbase.

Magnett

FNG
We were looking at one of these for my son a number of years ago. They are very good vehicles. However, you really need to look at service records and have a pre-purchase inspection done by a Toyota knowledgable mechanic. Early models had a timing belt. Timing belts need to be replaced 60,000 mi to 100K mi. Also, its creeping up on a clutch replacement. Other things to consider are the number of miles on brakes and tires, and water pump. Expect to put some money into it. Also, a good mechanic can examine it to find out if it was ever in an accident and may have structural issues. Buyer beware!