1P bivy/tent options

In the market for a 1P Bivy/tent.

Looking for something very lightweight/packable and waterproof. Aqua quest hideaway is currently top of the list. Anything else I should check out?

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I did the ultralight backpacking thing for a long time before I got back into hunting seriously. In that community stand alone bivies are less popular than a small tarp combined with a water resistant (not water proof) bivy. Weight is pretty much a wash and being under a small tarp in the rain is more comfortable then being in a bivy. I never tried a bivy alone. A friend did and reported it was muggy, he returned it to REI and went back to a tent.

Now that I've said all that... If I was going to hunt, or hike until last light, sleep a few hours and start over again, then I might use a stand alone bivy occasionally. I like the concept but not enough to invest limited funds.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Durstin X Mid1

Second

f91c21d385ba74aa008f0cb26b916f37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost may be a big factor in the discussion, too.

The Aquaquest you listed is affordable at $130, but comes in at over 2lbs (and looks like a condensation magnet when zipped).

Granted that’s hardly “heavy”, but might be when you consider a bivy from Katabatic and tarp from Six Moons, Durstin, Argali, etc. brings you in at less than/right at 1lb.

That combination will offer a lot more versatility than the Aquaquest, too- you’re looking at ~8 oz if the weather looks good and you want to carry the bivy alone.

…but that combination comes with a heavier price tag.

Drenalin

WKR
I don't know that I could tolerate that style of bivy, or the condensation I'd have to deal with. But I am a tarp and bivy guy. The Borah 7x9 with their UL Bivy is right at a pound (plus stakes and guylines, so call it 20 ounces) and a shade over $200.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
With small shelters condensation is very hard to manage. I’d look for something that vents extremely well if using a small volume 1P shelter. Also consider how much gear you need to protect with the shelter, if you need snow load capability, if you use trekking poles, packed size for your backpack, etc etc……hard to recommend something exactly

Xmids, tarptents, poles shelters such as hilleberg, Slingfin/stone glacier, tarp shelters like seek outside, tarp+bivy, etc.

For the $ the xmid is going to give you the best balance of size, weight, cost, and capability. If you want smaller, I’d take a look at the SG/slingfin 1p tarptent product that’s modular, extremly light, small, ventilates well, bug netting/floor, and can protect gear,

All great answers so far with excellent recommendations.

I tried a few different UL routes but ended up preferring a super light 1p tent. The weight difference is minimal enough for me that I much preferred the better sleep I got from a bit more room.

I never slept great if the bivy (borah ul big bivy) is zipped up and the fabric in my face.

I be heard great things about the Durston tents but only have experience with the Tarptent. For about 1lb or a few ounces more can have anything from a
Protrail - least expensive non dcf thats light
Aeon li - 1lb
Notch li - little over a lb and more room
Dipole Li - 20oz but really great livability for so light.

DCF tents drop a lot of weight but you pay a pretty penny for them. I ended with the Dipole li 2 though the 1 would have been fine. The quality of my sleep makes enough of a difference on my hunt and backcountry days that it’s worth 4-7oz for me.

The dipoles do a great job of keeping the tent fabric away from head and feet.

Good luck and thankfully many great options.

OP
A
I did the ultralight backpacking thing for a long time before I got back into hunting seriously. In that community stand alone bivies are less popular than a small tarp combined with a water resistant (not water proof) bivy. Weight is pretty much a wash and being under a small tarp in the rain is more comfortable then being in a bivy. I never tried a bivy alone. A friend did and reported it was muggy, he returned it to REI and went back to a tent.

Now that I've said all that... If I was going to hunt, or hike until last light, sleep a few hours and start over again, then I might use a stand alone bivy occasionally. I like the concept but not enough to invest limited funds.
Yeah, i have a lightweight tarp that i used to use, i probably should have mentioned I'm looking for something free standing and i don't carry trekking poles/tripod. Otherwise, I'd still be using my tarp. Some key information I forgot to mention.