1st Canadian border crossing

Pgohil

WKR
I'm leaving Thursday for Canada for a week of fishing. Plan on crossing the border north of Michigan. There will be three of us in my pickup. Never crossed the border before. Aside from making sure we don't have any firearms or loose ammo, Is there anything we need to know or any tips anyone can give us to make it a smooth process?

Thanks

PGohil
WV

Have your ID and passports handy . Dont go digging around for stuff when they ask for it . Take the dark sunglasses off! Lol. Have fun and eat as much fish as you can. .

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
What about the arrivecan app? Still needed or worth doing?

wyosteve

WKR
Yes, as Vern said, make sure no one has a DUI on their record, even if it's old. They will likely be prohibited from entry since it's considered a felony in Canada.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Pull up to the booth with all your windows down, sunglasses off, and have your passport(s) ready. I also have addresses of where I’m going and date I’ll be returning written down to reference if asked. Check your rig over for loose ammo before you go

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
No dui's in our group. We're good there.
Thanks everyone. The loose ammo thing is a real concern in my truck. Lol.

rayporter

WKR
get a hair cut before you go [seriously] dont have long hair or any tee shirts on with

gun theme slogans!

we had out potatoes confiscated one year. you never know just what might be a problem to them.

HoytHntr4

WKR
They also weren’t allowing any uncooked chicken or eggs across last spring because of bird flu in the states, not sure if that’s still in effect or not. Good rule is to just cook all meat you’re bringing ahead of time, I’ve never had a problem that way

wyosteve

WKR
Also, I think you can't take any live bait, including nightcrawlers across the border.

MCS

FNG
Last time I crossed into Canada for a bear hunt. We were treated very poor by the boarder gaurds. We were at the boarder over 5 hour.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Last time I crossed into Canada for a bear hunt. We were treated very poor by the boarder gaurds. We were at the boarder over 5 hour.
When was that? And what was the hold up?

Ok so I am not an American crossing into Canada but have tons of Border crossing experience. I always have passports ready and only answer the questions asked. Never add information that is not asked for. Tell the truth. Sooner or later you will have good or bad experiences on both sides of the border if you cross enough. Border agents are just people and have good and bad days like everyone else. Being polite and truthful will help your experiences.

MCS

FNG
When was that? And what was the hold up?
About 10 years ago. We did everything we were told to do and had all the paper work for the guns. They took 4 hour searching the truck, made rude comments about us going bear hunting and harassed my 70 year old father for hours because he was arrested as a 17 year old for under age drinking.

There was a Canadian resident there in the room with us that they wouldn't let back in the country because he had a dui.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Treat Officers like any other LEO, answer in one word answer only, but do so respectfully.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Turn off vehicle if it is noisy at idle when you arrive at the booth.

Passports in hand opened to your photo page, hats & sunglasses off, windows down. Short and polite replies.

No more arrivecan app