1st Mule Deer hunt

I'm headed to Montana in a few weeks for my first western hunt, I'm an avid hunter and Guide in Maine, but this whole western hunting style is new to me. Anyway, we're staying in Livingston Dist 314 and was just wondering if this or any of the surrounding districts are good for mule deer? We have no desire to hunt from the roads or anywhere near them for that matter, we plan on doing day trips into the mountains and overnight if we have to. We also have no grand illusions of shooting a record book mulie either, just looking for a respectable one. Thanks Guys

junior

WKR
Sorry if you already had your trip as this post was from a while ago. Can definitely be respectable bucks around that area. In my experience it can be tough as there isn’t the classic above timberline early season archery terrain that you think of for high country mule deer, especially later into sept and October. Unfortunately there will be good bucks low on pivots and agriculture ground that are typically going to be hard to get access to. This leaves a lot of the middle ground between 6-8000 ft elevation of fairly thick timber. Definitely deer around but not easy to put a tag on, especially with a bow and ESPECIALLY before the rut hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Thanks for the info Junior, we’re headed out the 25th and will be there for the week. Even if I don’t fill my tag, I still get to spend a week hunting in Montana!