1st or 2nd week Wyoming Muley Rifle

Jae7675

FNG
So, I think I have decided on a couple of units for my daughters deer hunt. They both have Gen Rifle 10/1-10/14. I am sure the first week is the most crowded, but the second week the deer have been pressured for a full week. What do you all prefer in this instance? My instinct is to be there the opening week regardless of how many people there may be.

Laramie

WKR
It completely depends on the area. Some are definitely better the second week due to early migrations and a higher likelihood of weather to get the deer moving. On other hunts, it is much better to hunt the deer in more of their summer pattern so the first week is best.

OP
J

Jae7675

FNG
It completely depends on the area. Some are definitely better the second week due to early migrations and a higher likelihood of weather to get the deer moving. On other hunts, it is much better to hunt the deer in more of their summer pattern so the first week is best.
More than likely it will be units 75/76

Laramie

WKR
More than likely it will be units 75/76
Won't really matter in those units. Go when it works for you guys as a family. Good luck.

Edited to add - Pressure will be high both weeks. The proximity to population centers combined with overlapping elk seasons and then camps moving in for the elk opener will have the mountain crawling with people the whole time. Anything better than a 2 point would be an accomplishment.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jae7675

FNG
Thats the way to do it! i was hoping you would say where you were going. Me and 1M others thank you.
since its not an OTC unit/units your point is moot. Me saying where we might hunt will have no bearing on the pressure in said unit/units. I do appreciate you taking the time to make a pointless, unintelligent remark though.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
since its not an OTC unit/units your point is moot. Me saying where we might hunt will have no bearing on the pressure in said unit/units. I do appreciate you taking the time to make a pointless, unintelligent remark though.
Are you familiar with the term "point creep" lol. Generally the only "units/regions" that are even SEMI kosher to list by name on here are some of the really really hard to draw (15+ point) units. Also you can't forget there are plenty of WY residents who frequent this forum, and those are a general unit for them.

Laramie

WKR
Are you familiar with the term "point creep" lol. Generally the only "units/regions" that are even SEMI kosher to list by name on here are some of the really really hard to draw (15+ point) units. Also you can't forget there are plenty of WY residents who frequent this forum, and those are a general unit for them.
Trust me, he isn't hurting anything with those area mentions. Those are two areas that virtually any local will spill the beans on. Not exactly desirable, even for the guys living 10 minutes away.

wytx

WKR
Just know twice any many folks in the woods that first week in 75 in the part of the area with an open elk season.
And yes, lots of folks setting camps the last week for elk season rifle opener in the rest of your area.
Opening day and week might be best but a zoo.
Everything will be "on it's toes" that day.