2 for 1 - Can I meet in the middle?

I'm somewhat new to spotters. I admittedly envy those who buy what is often referred to as "Alpha" glass but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do so. I do have some pretty nice rifle scopes from Zeiss and Swarovoski but I'm really more of a middle of the road guy.

Enough about me. In the recent couple of years I've purchased a Vortex Razor 11-33X50 (straight) as well as a Vortex by Cabelas "Intrepid" 20-62X80 (straight). I purchased the Intrepid after lots of research where I had read it was placed between the Viper HD and Razor at a Cabela's price point of around 1K. Obviously the Vortex VIP warranty had a great deal to do with this purchase.

My application is really pretty limited and now I've begun to question my purchases. I typically use my 11-33 at the range when sighting rifles at 100 yards. I also just returned from a Western KS pronghorn hunt where I used both scopes. My findings seemed to be that the small Razor provided a bit of improvement (FOV and only slightly appreciable magnification?) over my 10X50 binos. When I used the bigger Intrepid out the window I found it to be a bit unwieldy and cumbersome. I'm using an older Cabelas window mount that is likely lending to the awkwardness of the big scope.

Future uses would likely be limited to range time and the occasional trip for pronghorn or Mulies in KS or WY. Distances would most likely be limited to approx. 2 miles or so (on the long end) with most instances being far less (out to 800 yards).

My question for the better versed would be opinions on whether or not I should (and to some degree "could") sell/trade both of my existing pieces for an arguably "better" scope in the 11-45X65 range. Maybe I could turn the two into one pretty good piece (not that I'm necessarily disappointed with the performance I'm getting now, just the experience if that makes sense). I've just about decided that no matter what I do, I want the angled eyepiece for ease of looking through while in the vehicle.

Thanks for any insight you might provide.

Jeff

Rodéo

WKR
No experience with the Athlon Ares but based on reviews here and personal experience with the razor spotting scopes, I think you could/should sell both and get something along the lines of the Ares 15-45x65 and have $ left over.

Snogdiper

FNG
I haven't looked through the spotters you own now and I live hours away from any dealers that have samples of mid to high end glass. With that in mind, I called Doug at Cameralandny and told him what models I was considering and what I was looking for in a spotter. I ended up with the Kowa tsn554 and couldn't be happier with it for my application. The compact size may not benefit you much if you use it primarily from the vehicle but optically, it's an amazing little spotter. The compact size and light weight has resulted in me never leaving the spotter (and tripod) behind. It's always in the backpack! The Kowa might be a little more than you want to spend but if you call Doug, he'll give you the straight scoop and a great deal.

Matt G.

WKR
Sounds like you need a in between scope, one scope does all. Give Dough or Rob at S&S a call. I had the Kowa 55 and the 77 scope and kept the 77 because I am young and dumb and I just like view in bigger optics. If you do not mind used, I would watch the optics classified for used stuff as people start dumping their optics after the season. You can get some good deals on the Alpha type. But if you are in the middle of the road, you can get the Vortex Razor 65 for $700-800 in classified, check out the new Maven, Athlon Ares, Hawke.... etc. If you have cash still find a nice window mount. I even saw the Swaro ATS non HD 65 for around 1200...

OP
K
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll reach out to some of the industry folks and see what thoughts/options they can provide.