2 killed by Grizzly

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A Canadian couple and their dog were killed by a grizzly bear attack in Banff National Park while hiking. The bear was found and was showing aggressive behavior and was put down. A family members said the couple were experienced back country hikers and knew bear protocol and followed it to a tee.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I saw this sad news last night and may they rest in peace.

I wonder if they had bear spray? Since it's Canada, I seriously doubt a firearm was permitted?

Eddie

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Man, bad bad way to go! Funny that some from Alaska folks said I wouldn't need to check my Glock 10mm with me while going 4 hours from anchorage into middle of nowhere Alaska... I said I appreciate their opinion but it's coming with me anywhere in brown/grizz/moose land! Not that it would by any means guarantee me from getting eaten, but the thought of having nothing freaks me out.

hiker270

WKR
More bears, more people in bear territory. What can go wrong. Article I read said the two killed were experienced hikers. In Canada basically your protection is bear spray since handguns are not allowed.

ROKnROAL

FNG
Pretty crazy story, happened in my neck of the woods. A family member of the deceased said they had sent an inreach message letting them know they had set up camp for the night at 5pm. SOS message was sent out a couple hours later. Search and rescue couldn’t get a helicopter in due to the weather, so they had to hike in. Started at 8, got there at 1am and the grizzly was still there and being aggressive, which would lead you to believe it was protecting the bodies as a food source. So they put it down. With them having the dog, you wonder if that was a cause of the attack. Any dog is supposed to be on leash in any national park here in Canada. Or it may have been the very rare predatory attack, as bears are in hyperphagia right now and there’s been a very bad berry crop this year. Sad thing to happen all around.

ROKnROAL

FNG
More bears, more people in bear territory. What can go wrong. Article I read said the two killed were experienced hikers. In Canada basically your protection is bear spray since handguns are not allowed.
Not really. Outside of national parks you’re more than free to carry a rifle or shotgun in the backcountry as long as you have your gun license.

ROKnROAL

FNG
Some comments on this showing the general public’s knowledge on bears. All you guys hunting bears in Alaska, I guess you’re getting your guns helicoptered in according to the guy in the last pic?

IMG_3618.png
IMG_3617.png
IMG_3616.png
IMG_3615.png

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
99 out of 100 griz wont molest a tent full of people or dogs, but all it takes is 1 to give 'em all a bad rep and end us. Similar scenario happened on the Hulahula River in northern AK years ago. Attacked and consumed both people from inside the tent. What's even more surprising is how many countless griz we hunters sleep near with blood stains on our clothes and waders inside our tents and vestibules...with very very few in camp encounters collectively.

Not the way I ever want to go out. mmmm, terrible.