Guy dies on a mountain his dog stayed by his side for about 72 days

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Dogs are awesome, period.

I'll reiterate what was said above, numerous cases of an owner passed away in their house and cats will eat them, dogs don't touch them.
I have seen firsthand the opposite. Dogs will eat their owners. Might take a couple of days, but it happens. It is what it is

OP

3forks

WKR
I recalled a couple of other similar stories about dogs staying with their owners after they died:
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14467891/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Two dogs have shown an amazing devotion to their master.

The body of Gary Lorenz was found last week surrounded by his dogs, Pippin and Merry, after he disappeared in September from his home in Cotopaxi.

Lorenz had Alzheimer's disease, KMGH-TV in Denver reported.

The golden retrievers stayed with their master, guarding his body, for at least three weeks after he died. They lost about 9 pounds each, but vets say they are healthy.

A massive search involving at least 100 people was conducted after Lorenz disappeared Sept. 29. He had taken his ATV and his two dogs over a ridge above his home. The search turned up nothing.

Officials say he died four or five days later from exposure and dehydration.

The 63-year-old retired Air Force colonel was found by a hunter Oct. 20 about four miles from his ranch in a steep and wooded area. Helicopters had missed his body when looking overhead because a tree that he was leaning on blocked their view.

Searchers had told the family they heard barking occasionally, but assumed it came from dogs at a nearby house.

The 3-year-old dogs, brother and sister, were returned home shortly after Lorenz's body was found. They were very hungry and thirsty.

Lorenz's widow told the Mountain Mail that finding the dogs was "bittersweet." She said she and her daughter were glad the dogs were found, but were upset about losing Lorenz.

"We feel the lord has been very merciful, sending them back to me," said Lorenz's widow, Sandee. "We felt the dogs were with Gary and helped him pass from this life to the next."

"Now that we have the dogs back, we feel like we've gotten a little piece of Dad back. He loved these dogs, and they loved him. They never left his side. They watched him. He was having trouble communicating with all of us, but he always seemed to be able to talk to the dogs. They were his best friends," said Deanna Lorenz, his daughter. "We are so happy to have them back to remind us of the relationship he had with them and to help my mom get through her tough weeks ahead. They will be here to comfort her."

Sandee Lorenz said the dogs were emaciated when they returned. She said she initially fed them every few hours so they wouldn't overeat.

Deanna Lorenz told a newspaper, "Merry was a little overweight before she disappeared, so we're trying to keep her about where she is now."

She told the paper she wasn't sure what the dogs were eating, other than berries, but said dogs can go for several days without water.

It helped that the dogs had each other to lean on, Sandee said.

"Pippin would never leave Gary, and Merry would never leave Pippin," she said.

After returning, Merry had a slight limp, and Pippin seemed more aggressive, the family said.

Sandee said this wasn't the first time the dogs had been lost. When they were about 6 months old, they wandered off for three days. The dogs never went out exploring again.

The family said the support they've received from the community about the dogs' return and the loss of Lorenz has been overwhelming.”

Also, from 2014:

”A search team in Colorado found the body of a missing 81-year-old skier Saturday, but they had to get by his loyal golden retriever Buddy first, reports ABC Denver. The dog was described in the sheriff's report as being in a "protective state," apparently guarding the body of Robert Blake from scavengers, particularly coyotes seen in the area the previous night, reports the Durango Herald. Blake was reported missing the day before; he had been cross-country skiing at Lizard Head Pass and appears to have died from natural causes. A helicopter crashed during the search, but all four occupants walked away uninjured. Buddy, meanwhile, is back home with Blake's family.”

Swamp Fox

WKR
I have seen firsthand the opposite. Dogs will eat their owners. Might take a couple of days, but it happens. It is what it is

I have just now made a resolution to bathe more and brush my tooth better.

When I just don't show up for Christmas at my sister's one year, that will be unfortunate ---But if everyone finds out a couple of weeks later that I smelled a bit too much like Friskies and that's why we can't have a nice open casket, that will be funny-- in my circle--- eventually... I don't care who you are.

My circle is a little warped.

WoodBow

WKR
There was a coroner on Theo Von's podcast recently. He said cats will basically start eating you immediately. Small dogs (like this one) don't wait long either. Seemed like bigger dogs, such as labs, waited the longest.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
If I died in the backcountry and my dog was unfortunate enough to be along for the trip, I'd be far happier for him to eat me and survive/stay healthy than starve himself by my side so people could talk about how loyal he was.

Agree. I lost my dog two & a half months ago. She lived a long and good life giving us more love than we could ever give her in several lifetimes. It’s been harder missing her every day than I could’ve imagined. So, having that kind of love that she had for us , if the good Lord had decided that it was my time (it’s actually on His time) in a scenario similar to that shared by the OP, then why wouldn’t I want my dog to live if it wasn’t their (her) time.

gabenzeke

WKR
There was a coroner on Theo Von's podcast recently. He said cats will basically start eating you immediately. Small dogs (like this one) don't wait long either. Seemed like bigger dogs, such as labs, waited the longest.
I know a guy paralyzed from the waist down. Owned a small dog. He was definitely still alive and woke up one morning to find the small dog had decided to start eating one of his legs. So I think it's at least plausible that there is some variation to how long a dog waits before he decides to eat his owner...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I know a guy paralyzed from the waist down. Owned a small dog. He was definitely still alive and woke up one morning to find the small dog had decided to start eating one of his legs. So I think it's at least plausible that there is some variation to how long a dog waits before he decides to eat his owner...

Well, that’s enough internet for today.

Swamp Fox

WKR

One more reason to keep to a regular feeding schedule ....

Not saying cats are smarter than dogs ...

LOL

Not only would Gus not eat me. He would go after any critter that tried. I base this on he’s not a real chowhound, especially when he’s upset. Also he weighs 17 lbs and has repeatedly gone after dogs who he thinks are not respecting me. Regardless of size. (Bit of resource guarding there but we’re working on it and it is what it is)

Talk about loyal…

PAGOSA SPRINGS, Colo. — The body of a 71-year-old hiker from Pagosa Springs who went missing with his dog in August has been found, the Archuleta County Sheriff's Office announced Monday.
Rich Moore was reported missing along with his dog, Finney, on the evening of Aug. 19 prompting an extensive search of the Blackhead Peak area on the ground and by air by multiple agencies. According to the sheriff's office, search teams and personnel searched nearly 2,000 hours for Moore and Finney.

On Monday, Oct. 30 at approximately 3 p.m., the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office received information from a local hunter in the Lower Blanco drainage basin that he found a deceased man and a white dog. Members of the sheriff’s office, with the assistance of a flight crew working the Forest Service Fires, conducted a recon flight of the area for a suitable landing zone.
On Tuesday, Oct. 31, sheriff’s office personnel as well as members of the Upper San Juan Search and Rescue were flown to the designated landing zone by the Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control, they then located the body and positively identified him as Moore. The sheriff's office said Moore was recovered by the team and flown off the mountain. Finney, Moore’s Jack Russell Terrier, was alive and rescued by the search and recovery team. She was transported to a local veterinary hospital for an examination and treatment. She has been reunited with her family.
Moore's cause of death is unknown but foul play is not suspected, the sheriff's office said.
Members of the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office, Upper San Juan Search and Rescue, Mineral County Search and Rescue, La Plata County Search and Rescue, New Mexico and Colorado K9 Search Teams as well as aerial assets from the Colorado Air National Guard, USFS Wildland Flight Crews and Flight for Life assisted in the search efforts.

I have a Bernese Mountain dog. He’s loyal but he would probably stay because of the climate and not me.