Guy dies on a mountain his dog stayed by his side for about 72 days

3forks

WKR
Talk about loyal…

PAGOSA SPRINGS, Colo. — The body of a 71-year-old hiker from Pagosa Springs who went missing with his dog in August has been found, the Archuleta County Sheriff's Office announced Monday.
Rich Moore was reported missing along with his dog, Finney, on the evening of Aug. 19 prompting an extensive search of the Blackhead Peak area on the ground and by air by multiple agencies. According to the sheriff's office, search teams and personnel searched nearly 2,000 hours for Moore and Finney.

On Monday, Oct. 30 at approximately 3 p.m., the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office received information from a local hunter in the Lower Blanco drainage basin that he found a deceased man and a white dog. Members of the sheriff’s office, with the assistance of a flight crew working the Forest Service Fires, conducted a recon flight of the area for a suitable landing zone.
On Tuesday, Oct. 31, sheriff’s office personnel as well as members of the Upper San Juan Search and Rescue were flown to the designated landing zone by the Colorado Division of Fire Prevention and Control, they then located the body and positively identified him as Moore. The sheriff's office said Moore was recovered by the team and flown off the mountain. Finney, Moore’s Jack Russell Terrier, was alive and rescued by the search and recovery team. She was transported to a local veterinary hospital for an examination and treatment. She has been reunited with her family.
Moore's cause of death is unknown but foul play is not suspected, the sheriff's office said.
Members of the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office, Upper San Juan Search and Rescue, Mineral County Search and Rescue, La Plata County Search and Rescue, New Mexico and Colorado K9 Search Teams as well as aerial assets from the Colorado Air National Guard, USFS Wildland Flight Crews and Flight for Life assisted in the search efforts.

I’ve always heard cats will eat you while you’re still warm, but a lot of dogs won’t eat their deceased owners. I hate to speculate on this case.

That's what EMT's say. They get the call to go pick up someone who died and had been quietly rotting for some time. Cats will have eaten them. Dogs won't. I'm sure neither is universal.

Jack Russels are rodent killing machines. Not just interested in rodents like most dogs, pure bred rodent hunting and killing beasts. I could easily see one living just fine in the forest eating rodents, I'm glad the pup made it, sorry to hear the man passed. For the locals, how far from the original search area was he located?

Terrapin

WKR
I’m sure he’s a good dog, but Lassie would have saved him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
Dogs are awesome, period.

I'll reiterate what was said above, numerous cases of an owner passed away in their house and cats will eat them, dogs don't touch them.

Slim Jim

WKR
Wow, I was in Pagosa Springs the 2nd week of September and a local asked me to keep a lookout for him and his dog because he’d been missing for a couple of weeks. Glad they found him and the dog is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk