2 stroke dirt bike for older rider?

Husky TE300 popped up in my price range. I believe this still has a Carb? Decent option?
Definitely not a bad bike. No offense to anyone here but you may get better results asking questions on a motorcycle forum. It’s kinda funny that you are getting 25 year range of year bikes you should buy 😂.

Reactions: TVW
Unless you want to get in to motocross I see no reason to go to a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke.

It's not 1995 anymore. Modern 300 2 strokes lug like crazy and are the choice for most folks who exclusively trail ride. On the flip side, most folks who race motocross at a serious/competitive level these days are on 4 strokes.

Husky TE300 popped up in my price range. I believe this still has a Carb? Decent option?

What year? 2019 was the last year of the carbed bikes.

I am an older rider. Just picking it up. Have a long running thread from a year ago about bike for backwoods.

My skills have been progressing. I'd like to try a 2 stoke bike. I simply am not going to dump $11,000 into a KTM 300 XC-W.

Are there many torquey older bikes to recommend that are NOT track oriented?

Would like to progress my slow techincal skills. And ride single track. Screams 300 XC-W. Was hoping for way cheaper and less tears when it takes a few spills.

See a local Husky 2014 TE300 that's $5k. But believe it's sold. Seems the Euro bikes are what I want/need. But anything Japanese work?
Lots of the replies here missed the key words “single track”. If you’re into hard enduro type single track one of the 300 2t bikes from ktm, husky, sherco, beta, etc are the popular choices. Having the ability to bunny hop logs, stumps, boulders etc, while also have enough power for steep inclines and tractor through tight gnarly stuff, is where these bikes shine. I ride a ktm 350 xcf and miss my 2 stroke when stuff gets gnarly. I keep my 350 because I catch up on the fast trails.

I was hoping for an "older" more seasoned crowd. Kick stand broken off the Husky. Really enjoy a kickstand. Think I'll pass on this specific bike.

I have a Rekluse clutch question.

I see soooo many 2 strokes have them. I maybe get the concept, but never rode a Rekluse bike. What's it do for you?

I was hoping for an "older" more seasoned crowd. Kick stand broken off the Husky. Really enjoy a kickstand. Think I'll pass on this specific bike.

I see soooo many 2 strokes have them. I maybe get the concept, but never rode a Rekluse bike. What's it do for you?

Kickstands are a very common thing to break on the KTM/Husky/GasGas bikes, needs to be designed better.

Easy fix though.

What a Rekluse does is going to depend on the exact model, but most of them turn your bike into an "auto clutch" meaning that you essentially can't stall the bike even if you come to a complete stop in gear without pulling in the clutch.

Some folks love them, some folks hate them.

If you aren't an advanced rider and are wanting to ride in the mountains it would probably be a nice perk but nothing you can't live without either.

For your price range most of them are gonna be 200+ hours I think, but I know of lots of Austrian bikes that have gone 400-500 hours with just the routine maintenance.

Gold Creek Lodge is off loading a bunch of their previous rental fleet, they are set up very nicely and have been well maintained. A little more than you want to spend but might be worth looking into.

Rekluses allow the bike to not stall when in gear due to low RPMs. The issue this does have is if your battery dies, it eliminates the ability to roll start bike.

ALready having two bikes (one will most likely go) I have fire roads and "normal" riding covered. I am somewhat enamored by dirt bike training videos.

"Hard Enduro" makes me cringe as an overused term. Right there with "overlanding". Ugh. I drink Miller Lite in pounders. Not IPAs.

THere is a fair bit of legit single track close to me. Or what I call single track. It's maintained by guerilla single track dudes. Only 12" wide. Deep cuts. Lots of short, but steep uphill and downhill stuff. Exposed roots on uphill pulls. Some rocks and rocky knobs on uphill pulls, etc.

It's a ton of work on a 280 pound bike. Been trying it on the XR400. Makes the more advanced KTM 450 EXC feel dreamy.

I do try to practice some skill drills. I actually work at this and not just ride a few miles once a month.

I would like to try a bike that is more suited for this stuff.

If I could ever master a pivot turn with a 280 pound donkey 4 stroke from 1999 maybe I'd be on my way to being a silver haired Graham Jarvis this summer?

Basically I see a ton of central Idaho single track stuff that looks not too terrible technical, a beautiful afternoon of adventure, and some calories being burned to stay fit that doesn't involve a treadmill or kettle bell.

I don't ever see me doing scrambles. Overall just like to try one.....

But I don't want that much HIT or super twitchy 2 stroke feel. Most of what I watch does say (KTM 300 XCW specifically) that they are no speed demons at all. Very luggable. Not at all twitchy. Which sounds like what I want to try. Knowing a few XCW owners and riders.....ALL OF THEM rave about their bikes.

I did watch WranglerStar almost kill his buddy at an "influencer" Honda Pro Rider invite....

"I've been riding for years....." as he launched a bike in a parking lot at his buddy's head

"But I've always ridden with a Rekluse"

To the guys saying that the 300 is boring, are you riding track stuff? Side by side, the 250 hit is night and day compared to a 300. That's not what makes it exciting for me personally. Trying to finesse up a hill, over a couple back to back logs, or just technical terrain in general is what I appreciate. Long gone are the days of hitting the 125' table top and landing in the flat. Having that hard hit in the woods isn't conducive to clean and smooth riding IMO.

I think the yz could be a good choice for you, but it’s definitely more of a classic two stroke feel.
If I were you I’d try to ride one first. I think Yamaha has demo days around the country. If one is close to you I’d do that.
Yz is a lot cheaper to own / maintain, parts are very easy to find, and really easy to work on vs the ktm / husky
But they are really good bikes too!

To the guys saying that the 300 is boring, are you riding track stuff? Side by side, the 250 hit is night and day compared to a 300. That's not what makes it exciting for me personally. Trying to finesse up a hill, over a couple back to back logs, or just technical terrain in general is what I appreciate. Long gone are the days of hitting the 125' table top and landing in the flat. Having that hard hit in the woods isn't conducive to clean and smooth riding IMO.
I’m saying the 300 is boring on single track. Super effective but boring. That’s just my personal preference. The ktm 250 is a different experience like you mentioned and I think that is more fun. If I was woods racing or doing hard enduro then I would buy a 300. I’m 41 but still ride like I’m 21. I’m currently on a ktm 350xcf and two previous bikes were a Yamaha yz250x and yz144 (yz125 with an Athena 144 kit). I enjoy the snappy light flywheel two strokes but they’re aren’t the most effective bikes necessarily. The 350 is cool but I do think I’ll get a 300 next and give that a try. The two I rodr briefly were boring but I think they would be really good for most of the riding I do.

I think the yz could be a good choice for you, but it’s definitely more of a classic two stroke feel.
If I were you I’d try to ride one first. I think Yamaha has demo days around the country. If one is close to you I’d do that.
Yz is a lot cheaper to own / maintain, parts are very easy to find, and really easy to work on vs the ktm / husky
But they are really good bikes too!

With all due respect, I would disagree with a lot of the last half of what you said.

I find the KTM/Husky bikes far easier to work on and more well thought out in a lot of areas than YZs.

Yamaha parts might be slightly cheaper but not enough that it's gonna matter.

For what it's worth, I've owned at least 12 different YZ250s over the years so I'm not a hater by any means. They are excellent bikes but I don't think the right choice given the things OP has stated he's looking for.

There are many myths.
Ktm = expensive parts. Bruh cmon. I have multiple Hondas, ktms, Kawis, they all need parts at times they all cost about the same to fix. I have yet to see a piston so much more expensive for any of them.
I think from what I read there is a decent amount of guys here that ride but not a lot. Yes a kdx back in the day was a great trail bike still can be. Your suspension is 20 years old. They have come a long ways in technology in 20 years. If the op wanted to build a late 90s early 2000 bike from scratch you can pick any of them and build a bad trail bike. I get the impression he is looking more turn key set up.
Fuel injection is just for emissions on 2 strokes? As Biden would say cmon man! My 72 blazer is carbureted. Modern vehicles are efi because they make a lot more power and can control all variables with the fuel system. Same with bikes. You can’t knock it till you at least ride one. The tpi was a stepping stone. Not the best ever and definitely has some issues. The new tbi is pretty awesome.
no motorcycle is a one size fits all. If you want the 250 hit and powerband then yes a 300 is smoother and more linear, also not really what the op described he was looking for.
I also think some people have different definitions of single track. Idaho trails to me sound similar to my definition. Tight corners aiming at trees with the bark buster to ensure you fit between anticipating the bounce off said tree then lugg through a rut to the next corner possibly have to nail it to make a hill in the middle. I have rode 4 strokes for the last 15 years my 300 wins every day all day in those situations.

With all due respect, I would disagree with a lot of the last half of what you said.

I find the KTM/Husky bikes far easier to work on and more well thought out in a lot of areas than YZs.

Yamaha parts might be slightly cheaper but not enough that it's gonna matter.

For what it's worth, I've owned at least 12 different YZ250s over the years so I'm not a hater by any means. They are excellent bikes but I don't think the right choice given the things OP has stated he's looking for.
Ive had lots of yz250's too and I now ride a 2019 tc250.
No Husky aftermarket crankshaft is on the market and OEM is $692 retail, $588 on rmatv. Just the crank
Yz full bottom end kit with bearings, gaskets, and seals = 288 on motorsport
If we're talking small parts like levers and shifters and stuff sure, no big deal.
But when it's time to rebuild, oh boy
Working on them is probably just preference, I just got so used to everything on YZ's having them for so long.

I think from what I read there is a decent amount of guys here that ride but not a lot
Not sure if you're referring to me but I ride moto every week, and raced in the 250 expert class for years in District 37.
Gotta say though pretty cool there's so many riders on here!!!
This is why RS is the best haha

Last edited:

Recluse is basically a centrifugal clutch like on beginner bikes. On my 350 xcfw, it was a lifesaver as that bike was critical on gear selection. The rekluse eliminated that. Also great for tight Texas twisties, just leave it in second gear and it wouldn’t stall or need shifting.

I have one on my beta and it’s really there to help with stalling. If adjusted right it won’t stall. Not nearly as critical as the 300 is not nearly so gear critical.

Back