200 or 220 Grain 10mm for Woods Defense?

treillw

WKR
Does the 200 or 220 grain hardcast 10mm bullet have a better reputation for woods defense, against scary toothed creatures?

Glock 20.

Thanks!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'll throw in the extreme penetrator round as well.

Glock 20 also. The extreme penetrator punched all the way through a cow (moo moo) and the hard cast did not. Whatever thats worth to you.
I run the 200 hardcast and 140 penetrator staggered in my mags.

Idaho10mm

FNG
Extreme penetrator or the extreme hunters from underwood will greatly outperform a hardcast bullet.

Idaho10mm

FNG
Chukes outdoor adventures and Alaskan ballistics on youtube have some very interesting videos on this caliber and the different loadings offered for it.

Beendare

WKR
G20 here, the Underwood 220 gr has a bad rep for tumbling in some weapons So I went 200gr.

I have run 700 rds of Underwood 200 gr hardcast through my stock G20 cleaning every 300 rds or so. No leading problems with the stock barrel and its a tack driver.

Those HC bullets are penetrating monsters. Seems to me Ive seen tests where they out penetrated the extreme penetrators.

My G20 isnt totally stock, I did the $.25 trigger job and a SS guide rod....though the GR doesnt do much but make it cycle noisier. Stock Glock barrel is money....its more accurate than I can shoot.

R700

FNG
I alternate the extreme penetrators and 220 hard casts in the mag of my Glock 20. Underwood ammunition recommends the extreme penetrators for bear protection over the hardcasts.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use 220g hardcasts, I feel good with the them. I have an assortment of others but always take the 220g hardcasts.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I still don't know if I buy the whole penetration is paramount thing. I can't imagine that a hollow point would have trouble penetrating to the brain cavity of anything in North America.

Poking skinny holes through something doesn't seem too lethal to me, unless your sub half inch projectile hits something major.

Although it doesn't go as deep, I would imagine a hollow point partially exploding, while still having sufficient mass to get some penetration, would have a better chance of hitting the spine or debilitating the central nervous system.

Using something that doesn't expand is almost like stabbing the animal with a thin knife.

I wouldn't use a non expanding bullet for hunting, because I don't think it does as much damage and kills as fast.

Archery kills by hemorrhaging and typically rifles by blowing up internal tissue and hydrostatic shock.

I shot an elk in the head two times at 10 yards this year with a 300 win mag and 215 grain berger and it just looked at me with eyes as big as saucers. At least one bullet exited. I don't recall seeing a second exit, but I also didn't look too hard. Don't know what that means exactly, but you think a 300 win to the head twice would take down just about anything.

Just some random thoughts I'm struggling with. I could be convinced otherwise.

I still don't know if I buy the whole penetration is paramount thing. I can't imagine that a hollow point would have trouble penetrating to the brain cavity of anything in North America.

Poking skinny holes through something doesn't seem too lethal to me, unless your sub half inch projectile hits something major.

Although it doesn't go as deep, I would imagine a hollow point partially exploding, while still having sufficient mass to get some penetration, would have a better chance of hitting the spine or debilitating the central nervous system.

Using something that doesn't expand is almost like stabbing the animal with a thin knife.

I wouldn't use a non expanding bullet for hunting, because I don't think it does as much damage and kills as fast.

Archery kills by hemorrhaging and typically rifles by blowing up internal tissue and hydrostatic shock.

I shot an elk in the head two times at 10 yards this year with a 300 win mag and 215 grain berger and it just looked at me with eyes as big as saucers. At least one bullet exited. I don't recall seeing a second exit, but I also didn't look too hard. Don't know what that means exactly, but you think a 300 win to the head twice would take down just about anything.

Just some random thoughts I'm struggling with. I could be convinced otherwise.
I`m going with the hard cast. The hollow point blowing up is not appealing to me on a big bear. I`m sure after soiling my shorts my shot may not be placed well and hope the penetration slows him down. Figuring I`m going to be taking a face on shot. Penetration seems good.

Buckfreak

FNG
Glock 20 also. The extreme penetrator punched all the way through a cow (moo moo) and the hard cast did not. Whatever thats worth to you.
I run the 200 hardcast and 140 penetrator staggered in my mags.
But the hardcast may have expanded to the size of a quarter and caused more damage. When it comes to taking down an animal its better for a round to not zoom right threw it.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
But the hardcast may have expanded to the size of a quarter and caused more damage. When it comes to taking down an animal its better for a round to not zoom right threw it.
“Depending on certain variables, in many instances and for many uses, hard cast bullets will not deform or 'mushroom' when they impact living mammal tissues, but lead bullets will deform or 'mushroom' at very low impact speeds. Lead bullets will deform and have much less penetration while hard cast bullets will maintain their shape and penetrate deeply however, this requires using sufficiently hard alloy mixes, matched with intended impact speeds on the intended medium.”

Per Buffalo Bore’s website

Buckfreak

FNG
Yes thats true, granted as long as It comes into contact with bone it is going to expand and cause major damage.