2012 AK DIY Sheep Hunt

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Here is a pic of the two rams...sorry for the poor quality...
IMG_2928.jpg

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
bro up at the top
IMG_2923.jpg

yours truly with a beautiful background
IMG_2931.jpg

We sat there, had lunch and talked about sheep behavior. We knew we were missing the other 3 rams and had a dilemna. Do we hang out and hope they appear or make a move toward them. Moving into the basin would require a committment to more than likely stay the night but we were not prepared to do such with all our gear but a days food with each of us. So we opted for option 1...hang out and wait in hopes they appear and we get some glass on them to ensure there were no legal rams. So we waited for a few hours and the 2 rams eventually fed up and over the back ridge. With our hopes of viewing them today now gone, we made a move back to camp. It took a good solid 2.5 hours and was all down hill. We again ran into a few caribou...however, one was a decent bull. We made it back to camp close to dark. A great first day. We enjoyed every second of it.
IMG_2943.jpg

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
The next morning we went straight up into the drainage our camp was in. The first 2 miles was awful! Its absolutely sucked trudging through alders, creek crossings and rocks--a typical day in the mountains. :)
Here I am goofing off on the way up the drainage...
JFrontinonCreekDrainage.jpg

Another shot of the creek about 1.5 miles from camp...you can see me in the distance. This drainage looks sheepy! Looks like good habitat for rams. Around 1100 it really began to rain so we hunkered down and had lunch and took a nap. Around 1300 it broke and we continued to head up and in the drainage.
JLittleintheSchemeofAlaska.jpg

We weren't the only hunters in this drainage...geeze, this bear was dropping some serious shart! We were hoping to see and harvest him/her but never sighted. But the 67 lbs piles of shit were impressive...I think these could give Aron Snyder a run for his money!
IMG_2964.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
The drainage looked very good...we spotted a few lambs and ewes along the way in. We would eventually go all the freaking way to the back of the drainage. About 5 miles from camp...one way.
IMG_2971.jpg

Another shot of the drainage---actually the head of the drainage looking back down...we humped it the entire way in and back.
IMG_2967-1.jpg

Another...spectacular country
IMG_2956.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
We make it all the way back to the end of the drainage and it begins to sleet/snow. We sit for a bit, have a snack and decide its time to head back to camp as we have no bivy gear (MISTAKE). Hike back took a few hours and the sun came out for a bit...I really enjoyed the hike back to camp. It was money to see my big bro out doing this hunt. It was worth the price of admission to see him doing this and enjoying it. Here we are on the way back...one of my favorite pics of the entire hunt. You can see it in our smiles!
IMG_2976.jpg

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Enough for tonight...gotta get a workout in...more tomorrow.

DISCLAIMER - we did not pull the trigger on this hunt...I hope that does not disappoint anyone nor do I want to lead folks on.

But I will take you through our entire hunt to give those not fortunate enough to do a sheep hunt the chance to get a sense of what we experienced.

Back tomorrow fellaz!

Lukem

WKR
Awesome stuff. I'm in even if there isn't a kill. Can't imagine I'll ever get to chase dalls, just love seeing their country.

Mckinnon

WKR
Awesome update, I am excited to see the rest! Pull the trigger or not this is fantastic stuff, thanks

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am loving the photos and story Jdog! I feel strongly that some of my most "successful" trips have been ones where we came home without an animal. It is truly aout the journey as much or more than the destination. Thans again, and keep it coming!

Awesome story and great pics to go with it. I know fromn experience (lots of it), that killing something isn't what makes a hunt memorable. I can see from the pics of you and your brother that you're making great memories that will alst for years, regardless of whether you kill something or not.

a3dhunter

WKR
Awesome story and great pics to go with it. I know fromn experience (lots of it), that killing something isn't what makes a hunt memorable. I can see from the pics of you and your brother that you're making great memories that will alst for years, regardless of whether you kill something or not.

I agree.

Great pics and I like the way the story is about more than the kill.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Great stuff JDog, glad that tripod worked out for ya being as you are nearly a full foot taller than me. :D Looking forward to the remainder of the story. Nothing purdier than the AK tundra in late August/early September with the red dawrf birch and yellow alders/willows. Looking forward to the remainder of this story!!! Looks to be a hunt to remember for sure, thus far.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
The next two days we had absolutely awful weather...I have never experienced wind that strong on a sheep hunt. It was a steady 40-50 mph with gusts considerably stronger. We had tons of rain and the fog was terrible. We stayed close to camp and hoped for a break in the weather. We used a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT on this hunt. Its about 7 lbs but has enough room for two big gumbies likes us and our packs in the vesty. I like the length and versatility of this tent...and believe me, the winds on this hunt made me a believer on Hilleberg. It shook pretty violently a couple nights but never failed. Here are a couple shots of the tent.
IMG_3002.jpg

I used a Western Mountaineering Badger bag on this hunt with a Big Agnes insulated air core pad. They work great...the bag is a bit warm and the pad works fine but I plan to possibly move to a ligher one next season. Swaro binos are great...just like the spotter. I never have considered replacing them. I brought two headlamps, my trusty Petzel and a new one for testing...Zebra H151 I think its called. It worked great and has many illumination settings.
IMG_3007.jpg

Rifle is a Weatherby Mark V Ultra lightweight chambered in .270 win. Great mountain gun for weight but sometimes picky at the range. Once I began using the Simms barrel doohickey, the groups get much better and are sub to 1" moa at 100 yds. Not bad as I don't do much waiting in between shots at the range. I just lock and load and fire.
IMG_3006.jpg

Clothing was mixture...i am 6'8" and 235-240 lbs..pretty lean. I use Sitka and Core4 Element for most. Seems to work fairly well and a few years old now. No real complaints on that. This is a photo of some pre hunt gear planning...some gear was replaced prior and some was not in this pic.
IMG_2665.jpg

Rain gear was Helley Hansen Impertech II...great stuff but the new camo version is not as flexible and heavier and bulkier compared to the old green stuff.

A DIY hunt in AK requires a ton of planning and logistics...you get one shot at getting it right and don't have a guide to assist. We go over lists alot!

Last edited:
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
Like mentioned earlier...we ended up sitting in camp for a couple days due to bad weather. We finally got a break and decided to head up main creek drainage. We decided we would trek up 4-5 miles to check it out. Around 10 am we stopped to take a break on the creek. Here is a short vid of the spot where we stopped to take a break. Notice the cut wood...like I said, this is a heavily guided area. You can see up near the headwaters weather is moving in...

Wow...this time of year in AK is magical. Short video of our break and the scenery.

Last edited:
OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
So back on the trail we go...the weather continues to look bad...but we get bouts of sunshine to keep us engergized.
IMG_2983-1.jpg

We keep pushing...heading all the way back to the headwaters...all the way in the back, with the snow on it...
IMG_2984.jpg

We stop around 1500 to take another break. I break out the Swaro and spot 5 rams in the head of the basin bedded. At my best guess...they are 2 miles away. And its uphill the entire way. One of them looks like he has potential...we discuss and decide to make a run at him to see if he is a keeper. I am hesitant, but he is energetic...its go time. We roll out! The pink line indicates our line of approach. The red star is where they are currently bedded. The blue star is where they ended up when we finally made it up the mtn.
IMG_2992-Copy.jpg