2014 pack list, what do you think?

Bmcox86

WKR
So here's my pack lost for this year so far. I upgraded a lot so my weight dropped about 7lbs then what I'm used to for basic backpacking. My stove is still going to be in the testing faze, I'm trying a new titanium woodburning stove but my back up will be a jetboil if my trial. My weight is around 29lbs before food and water and my food will weigh just about 5lbs. All weights in oz, let me know what you think. Tripod is missing because I don't know the weight of the one that I got with my scope. Also I will be wearing my binos on my chest and using my trekking poles so that's 44 oz that won't be in the pack. Am I missing something obvious or not obvious?

EXO pack 76oz
Pad 14
Quilt 22
Shelter 24

Water filter 03
Stove 2.8
Titanium pot 05

Gps 9.8
Headlamp 3.6
Havalon. 02
Towel. .9
Trekking poles 22
First aid kit. 16
Spare batteries. 04
Tp. 05

Puffy. 18
Socks. 06
Base layer(top and bottom) 08
Gloves. 03
Hat. 03
Orange vest. 04

Gun with scope and sling with full mag 123
Loaded spare mag 10
Kill kit. 16
Binos. 22
Range finder. 06
Spotting scope. 36

Food for 3 nights/4days. 72

Last edited:

Browtine

WKR
I'd dump the extra mag and just take a few xtra shells and you have a rangefinder listed twice. Also didnt see a shell listed

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That looks pretty good to me. I think you're off to a good start. The main thing is to get as many trips under your belt as you can before the season and you will know exactly what works for you.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
Thanks, as long as our new baby and wife allows I plan on doing a bunch of short scouting trips and fishing trips which should help me narrow down my weights. I was thinking about dropping the mag and tossing in a few more bullets. My first hunt will probably be bear and I'm hoping that helps narrows stuff down.

charvey9

WKR
Thats pretty light with a spotter and rifle. What shelter are you using? Are you sure you won't need any rain gear?

charvey9

WKR
Thats a pretty good list. If you are looking for ways to shave a little more, I would say you could save 10-14 oz going with a Cuben fiber tarp if you are going the shelter route. Thats also a pretty burly set of treking poes at 22oz for the pair.

Leki Carbonlite XL's tip in at 14oz, and I've used them to pitch my Tipi in heavy snow with no issues. BD cabron cork are cheaper and run at 18oz for the set.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what you've got going there, but the pursuit of UL gear never ends. You always need something to look forward to upgrading. :)

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
I'm in the process of modifying my first aid kid to drop it to 8oz. I will look for lighter poles at the next rei garage sale, I always seem to find them dirt cheap there. On a side note I dropped an ounce today for $6. New pack towel that weighs .5oz on sale