2015 Hunts in Review

Had a good year that could have been great. Been doing a lot of writing lately so I'm just going to go with mostly pics and a brief caption.

Started out in AZ chasing javelina and muleys
P1020127.jpg
Got my pig right off the bat.
2015-01-14 10.19.56.jpg
Saw bucks every day but only found one I wanted to stalk - had him bedded at 45 yards for a couple hours before a doe finally busted me.

OP
BruinPoint
Incredibly I drew an archery sheep tag. It was a tough hunt - after several scouting trips I had only found one ram:
View attachment 33557

It took 13 days of hunting to find a ram but when I did he was a good one (the one on the left - the ram on the right is the same as the pic above).
View attachment 33558

I made the stalk and he presented a shot opportunity. Followed blood until dark and searched all day the following day, coming up empty. The morning of the second day I found him still alive and barely limping. The arrow had been about 2" right of my aim point and hit the point of the shoulder, glancing upward, never entering the chest cavity.
P1000314.jpg

I laid on a rock in the sun for several hours waiting for another shot opportunity.
P1000318.jpg

Finally he moved into a cave and I got close - 24 yards.
261.jpg
234.jpg

After some more time in the sun I heard him get up.
251.jpg

As heartbreaking as it is, that's the last of the pics of this hunt. He stepped out and I shot him again - a little forward again - the arrow only got a few inches of penetration and broke off. I walked close to 40 miles of blood trail, grid patterns, and just searching places he might have gone for the next 4 days and never found a thing.

There's good news though - through a friend of a friend I got video of what I am almost positive is my ram several months later chasing ewes during the rut. So I think he made it! He looked strong with just a little catch in his step on one front leg. I've been back several times trying to find him myself to confirm, but haven't seen him.

Last edited:
OP
BruinPoint
As wild as it was to draw a sheep tag, I drew a Wyoming elk tag in the random draw with even lower odds. After 20 days chasing sheep and the way it turned out I needed redemption. I had decided to shoot any six point that gave me a chance and this one obliged on day 3 after two days of awesome hunting. It was redemption and more - He dropped right in front of me less than 15 yards from where I shot him.

P1000344.jpg

OP
BruinPoint
I took October off :) The first week of November was Colorado's third rifle season and I got within 325 yards of a stud mature buck that was probably in the mid 180's but never could find a place where I could get steady and see the deer and he eventually made it to the timber. Didn't fill that tag.

With elk in the freezer from WY I let my 4th season bull tag and December cow tag go without a lot of effort, though I did pass some chances to stalk cows and little bulls.

December came and I took my dad to Texas for what would be first whitetail hunt for both of us and we found a couple little bucks the last day.
P1030422.jpg

2015 was a pretty epic year despite not getting my sheep or a muley, but maybe 2016 is my year! Thanks for looking and hope everyone has some luck in the draws and in the field this year!

Last edited:

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
BruinPoint,

What a joy to spend that much time in the field! You got to hunt in some amazing places and chase some beautiful game. I would say it was a great year. Enjoy the memories!

Spin

OP
BruinPoint
Can I even top that? At a minimum I'll do turkey, elk, and deer in Colorado, and see what else I can draw in AZ, WY, and UT.

Sorry about the pics - they showed up last night but it looks like some aren't working now?