2015 WI Public Land Bear Hunt with Hunter

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of you might recall back in 2013 I did a live hunt with my son Hunter. He was 10 at the time and my mom transferred him a bear tag. We had a great time baiting all summer. Baits getting hit and lots of good camera pictures. A few days before season things started going haywire. He ended up sitting 81 hours and never seeing a bear. It was a good learning experience for him, but also very disappointing.

Well we have been at it hard baiting and checking cameras and today is opening day. We'll be headed out this afternoon to se what we can make happen. He'll get to hunt tonight and tomorrow night, then I leave for Montana for 3 weeks of archery elk hunting.

Follow along and we'll see what we can make happen!

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what you can or cant in WI but honey burns are FANTASTIC in bringing in bear. We have had them put their snouts right in the can as its still burning. That might help bringing in cruising bears. Good luck on the hunt!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The spot we will be sitting is about 15 feet above the bait and 35 yards from it.uploadfromtaptalk1441818096348.jpg

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is what we fed them yesterday. Homemade caramel corn. 6 gallon bucket of popcorn with caramel dumped all over the top , it seeps its way through and costs it all nicely. Theyuploadfromtaptalk1441818361764.jpg love it.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting ready to head out, should be rocking and ready to go in 2 hours.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1441828837981.jpg all setup, bait wasn't hit, first time......and it's raining. ...lol, go figure .

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing yet. 2.5 hours to go. Rain is intermittent, cloudy and overcast, low 60's.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well.....that was the plan, game was cancelled, then it was back on. Then I get a call Hunter has to go to urgent care for a toe issue. Now the game is off. My brother and Hunter are now ready to shoot. Camera card says a big one was in right after we left last night, and a small one already at 11:30 this morning.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing last night. No daylight pics today. 3 good bears in during dark last night, 1 smaller bear. Biggest one was in 21 minutes after hours.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had a nice bear circle the bait but not present a shot. One hour to go.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
No luck. This hunt will be put on pause for awhile. I'm headed to Montana elk hunting.