2019 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you have any questions or comments on the 2019 Cold Bow Challenge, please post them here. This will keep that challenge thread clean and easy to follow. Thanks!

* 4/15/19 update: The 2019 Cold Bow Challenge will start Saturday, May 11th and run through Sunday, June 9th. Thread will be unlocked early on the 11th and close end of day June 9th.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I like this, thanks Robby.

-Is there a traditional bow thread? *Added, I skimmed the original thread before and see my answer after reading it fully*
-If so, can someone participate in both compound and traditional bow threads?

NDGuy

WKR
Hope all my snow is gone by May... I might be shooting into a snowman lol

-Is there a traditional bow thread? *Added, I skimmed the original thread before and see my answer after reading it fully*
Last year it was one or the other I believe.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I combined Trad and Compound so everyone would have a shot at that big spotter.

And "Yes", if you qualify in both Trad and Compound, you can enter twice! (I updated the thread to clarify).

Notice there are more entries if you shoot broadheads! You could have up to 8 entries with your post count. I better see you there!

3) With no warm up shots, shoot one arrow a day and only one arrow at your called range (you do NOT have to shoot 5 days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.)

Is this no shooting a bow in the five days other than the cold shot arrow?

sndmn11

WKR
I combined Trad and Compound so everyone would have a shot at that big spotter.

And "Yes", if you qualify in both Trad and Compound, you can enter twice! (I updated the thread to clarify).

Notice there are more entries if you shoot broadheads! You could have up to 8 entries with your post count. I better see you there!

Sounds exciting, thanks.

GregB

WKR
Hopefully my recurve gets here in time to get it set up for the challenge. Now I've got a month to make 153 more posts and get 4 extra entries.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
3) With no warm up shots, shoot one arrow a day and only one arrow at your called range (you do NOT have to shoot 5 days consecutively, but there is NO PRACTICE between shooting days.)

Is this no shooting a bow in the five days other than the cold shot arrow?
Yes. YOU CANNOT SHOOT ANY ARROWS IN THE FIVE DAYS OF THE CHALLENGE, EXCEPT YOUR ONE ARROW PER DAY. (Not yelling:)

It's designed to replicate actual hunting.

Btaylor

WKR
So if someone decides to shoot both compound and traditional, you are going to shoot 10 days or can you take 1 shot with each bow on the same day?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So if someone decides to shoot both compound and traditional, you are going to shoot 10 days or can you take 1 shot with each bow on the same day?

good question, let's keep it simple: you can shoot concurrently, so two arrows per day for five days with each trad and compound would get you there. I updated the rules to clarify.

I don't think it will give anyone an unfair advantage with the extra arrows as switching between the two disciplines is no easy feat!

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I assume the challenge thread will "unlock" for entries to be added?

jfs82

WKR
Guess I better install the new drop away sitting in an amazon box. This sounds fun.

Rodéo

WKR
As a guy who is just getting into compound archery and looking forward to my first archery deer hunt this July, this is a great way to get some practice to try and replicate 'the moment of truth'!
Good luck to everybody in the prize drawing! Can't wait to get out there and fling some arrows

Is it 5 days in a row? I thought last year it didn't need to take place on 5 consecutive days. If it took you two weeks it was ok so long as it was still one arrow a day.

BigWoods

WKR
Yes. YOU CANNOT SHOOT ANY ARROWS IN THE FIVE DAYS OF THE CHALLENGE, EXCEPT YOUR ONE ARROW PER DAY. (Not yelling:)

It's designed to replicate actual hunting.
The challenge looks like it will coincidence with turkey season, which I'm planning to use a bow for. Do I DQ myself if I launched an arrow at a turkey mid challenge?

Also, is using a string release training device ok mid challenge?

Looking forward to this!