2019 DIY Oklahoma Whitetail Archery Info

Look into the James Collins WMA. Lots of mature high quality bucks taken every year. They only allow rifle hunts at certain time by a drawing. Archery allowed basically all season. Over 25,000 acres and if you are willing to hike a bit you will find limited pressure from other hunters. Lots of deer.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the James Collins WMA. Lots of mature high quality bucks taken every year. They only allow rifle hunts at certain time by a drawing. Archery allowed basically all season. Over 25,000 acres and if you are willing to hike a bit you will find limited pressure from other hunters. Lots of deer.

Collins is a great place to hunt. Like many other WMA's it's closed the first 9 days of deer gun season.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you. My original comment was a joke (I guess a poor one) but the fact is the state does not manage for big deer. They ask the hunters to voluntarily do it which is not necessarily bad because it improves opportunity if someone just wants to shoot a clueless deer (1 year old bucks) for meat.
It wasn't that poor, guess i was having a bad day!! sorry

but your momma tells better jokes!! lol again i apoligize

jasboj

FNG
May i suggest if you are dead set on thanksgiving weekend focus on our public bowhunting only areas. There are several that offer great potential at a dandy buck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GPool1842

WKR
Good deer here man. Just like most places, there are good deer all over.

Check out the GIS tool on the Wildlife Department page referenced in a previous post. Play around in there and find a WMA you like. Generally speaking, the western part of the state is flatter and more barren, central starts to green up with more trees and terrain, and east/southeast has the mountains, hills, and big timber.

Lot of public land to play with in this state. Keep in mind the relation of hunting areas to bigger cities like Tulsa and OKC. Closer to those areas, more likely to have more hunters.

As others mentioned, unless you are wanting to rifle hunt, I would hit anywhere from Halloween up until rifle starts.

If you find a WMA you like, send me a PM. Would be happy to talk further about specifics and help you out.

Jdog

WKR
Good deer here man. Just like most places, there are good deer all over.

Check out the GIS tool on the Wildlife Department page referenced in a previous post. Play around in there and find a WMA you like. Generally speaking, the western part of the state is flatter and more barren, central starts to green up with more trees and terrain, and east/southeast has the mountains, hills, and big timber.

Lot of public land to play with in this state. Keep in mind the relation of hunting areas to bigger cities like Tulsa and OKC. Closer to those areas, more likely to have more hunters.

As others mentioned, unless you are wanting to rifle hunt, I would hit anywhere from Halloween up until rifle starts.

If you find a WMA you like, send me a PM. Would be happy to talk further about specifics and help you out.
Can a guy use a climbing tree stand in Collins or are the trees there better suited for lock on stands?