2019 high country mule deer live hunt

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The time is finally here! Opening of mule deer season for us. Little Jordan and I are currently sitting on a peak glassing. This summer we found an awesome buck we refer to as Tank. He’s a wide large framed 3x4 with a big big body. Last night we rolled in and made camp then hiked up onto our glassing knob. There in a little basin adjacent basin we had multiple bucks come out of the trees to feed and finally one super nice 4x4 were calling Touchdown.

This morning we hiked back up to our glassing point in the dark. We didn’t immediately turn them up. I decided to grab my bow and tripod/spotter and walk down to a rock point. Barely arriving there I found them feeding across from me about 400 yards. 8 bucks with 2 definite shooters including Touchdown. While devising a plan they began feeding through a saddle away from us. After they crossed the saddle I grabbed the bow and took off to another rocky peak hoping they’d be below. Once arriving, they were below me but feeding in a little ridge. With the wind still good I decided to parallel them on the ridge to hopefully pop up for a shot. Once I figured I was within 60 I dropped my bino harness and began creeping up. About the time I hit the point of being able to see them I felt the wind shift as I heard them bound off. Then ran down into the bottom of the drainage in the trees. I quietly slipped back out and back to our glassing knob. I believe they will be back.

In the mean time Little Jordan glassed up what she believes is the buck Tank. We haven’t been able to get eyes on him since he went into one spot and we think he’s bedded. Since it’s the weekend we’re going to sit tight, glass and maybe the other pressure will move things around.

4ca3d8f5e0e898f786ffed855cce0a3d.jpg

Touchdown

78b6b3279e33264b4608a65de845ec3a.jpg

05468f685f7e9f000bd8934d60a6373a.jpg

Tank is a bit lower on the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 2: Last night the bucks came back out in the bottom of the basin where we’d seen them before. With the prevailing wind in my favor I dropped in, hoping to get in position before they fed out in their normal spot. Once I dropped in the thermals switched and I backed out. The bucks fed and walked their way around a rock point and we lost them at dark.

Now morning of day 2 and it’s been dang slow. Pretty windy with some cloud cover. As incisive as it sounds to go look into new country, I know these bucks most likely are still in here. Just burning up the glass and snacking to try and find them.

65064541c7e1fb49266d2ad3cdadc2ee.jpg

042386c7e5e98983933cf4c27f85cd0d.jpg

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update for day 3 morning.

Last night the bucks didn’t show up in the basin. Just the local 2x2 that had just stripped velvet. So this morning we devised a bit different plan. Take the side by side all the way around the mountain and approach the basin from another angle. Still nothing inside the basin so I burned up to the next “rock point” and peeks over into where we saw them go the first evening. Sure enough I see a 3x3 feeding on the tree line. I didn’t see the other bucks, but that 3x3 I believe has been with them and they had just fed into the trees out of sight before I got there. Good news is I think we got them found. Bad news is that it’s a bit further and in a spot perfect for rifle hunting... archery, not so much. But this buck is worth the effort.

We did some venturing over the noon hours into other areas with other basins. Haven’t glassed up a deer yet. This evening we are headed back around the mountain to hopefully cut some distance off and wait until they feed out this evening.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 4:

Missed a descent buck this morning. Rushed shot as the wind was swirling and missed low. Upper limits of my range, but still should have been a hit. Oh well... as it goes. Pulling the plug in the basin the biggest buck is in and now shifting to a different mountain where we’re hoping to get more stalks on. Running low on time and getting an itchy trigger finger!

Day 4:

Missed a descent buck this morning. Rushed shot as the wind was swirling and missed low. Upper limits of my range, but still should have been a hit. Oh well... as it goes. Pulling the plug in the basin the biggest buck is in and now shifting to a different mountain where we’re hoping to get more stalks on. Running low on time and getting an itchy trigger finger!

All good homie! I missed twice opening morning on elk, so you ain't alone! Keep on keepin' on!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stalked a smaller buck to 80 yards last night. Just not what I’m looking for. Had a nice buck this morning I played cat and mouse with for an hour or so. Still haven’t seen our big deer since the second day. They hit the timber and not sure they’ll appear again before we gotta go. Now we’re glassing off a cliff, looking over a few picture perfect basins. Trying to glass into shadows but the wildfire smoke is making that difficult!

c9d3d14d5ab0bc0f42fbf89c2a8e20f7.jpg

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wrapping things up for this trip, but we’ll be back. The season runs the month of September so I have some time to get back and try again. The last couple days I went on stalks for descent bucks, just couldn’t get the wind to work with me and stay away from other eyes. We’ll be recording a podcast episode for Rokcast on the trip and gear we used.

After returning home and thinking about things.. my returning trips will only be for the big buck. He’s still in there, I just need to keep on him. I’ll update once I’m back out there

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice write up. How do you like your Summits? I just bought a pair a few days ago.

Those were the Colorado’s that I wore. Little Jordan wears the Summits. I also have a pair of Summits but I use them in the lower country. They’re a little soft for my liking in the mountains. But they are great boots, I just like the extra stiffness