2020 bird season

Tex68w

WKR
Got on a few coveys of Bobwhite today outside of Beasley, TX. We need rain and cooler weather badly.

YvzSgN1.jpg

4f15TBk.jpg

S5CxVSK.jpg

X4ANthV.jpg

ORHunter

WKR
Most of the big game seasons are done with so its time to hit the upland/waterfowl for the next couple months.

A couple friends and I made the 6 hour drive to chukar country last weekend. Love seeing the pups work.
b06637442d5dd2dab33cee11f60fb98d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the big game seasons are done with so its time to hit the upland/waterfowl for the next couple months.

A couple friends and I made the 6 hour drive to chukar country last weekend. Love seeing the pups work.
b06637442d5dd2dab33cee11f60fb98d.jpg

That's a great trip and good looking pups. Do you keep the golden on heel and send him for retrieves, or is he out there finding birds for you?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ORHunter

WKR
That's a great trip and good looking pups. Do you keep the golden on heel and send him for retrieves, or is he out there finding birds for you?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Thats my buddies dog. We typically hunt 100-200+ yards apart but sometimes when they get birdy the dogs get closer. My buddy has him on a collar so he can keep him in shooting range and my pup ranges farther out in front us.

2ski

WKR
Everyone has a different palate.
Gamey really isn’t a taste. People use gamey to describe meat that doesn’t taste like beef.

To me it’s all meat. About the only meat I don’t enjoy is sea ducks. It smells.
I’m happy to hear you enjoy it and utilize it.
So any of you guys eat merganser? We shot one a few weeks ago and as soon as I picked it up, it stunk of dead fish. Fish scales around its beak. And my glove smelled like fish. My buddy hasn't eaten it yet, but we've heard they're not great.

mstahlz

FNG
So any of you guys eat merganser? We shot one a few weeks ago and as soon as I picked it up, it stunk of dead fish. Fish scales around its beak. And my glove smelled like fish. My buddy hasn't eaten it yet, but we've heard they're not great.
I'll start by saying I enjoy duck and goose straight up: breasted, little olive oil, S&P, grilled medium rare. I've tried merganser a couple of times different ways, with gravy, etc. and couldn't get them to come out tasting like anything but fish stink. I avoid them now because I'd rather not shoot anything I won't eat (predators aside).

Oregon

WKR
I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about eating one.

Tex68w

WKR
Had a preserve hunt with some buddies this past weekend where we bagged quite a few pin raised Quail and Chukar. We had some of the quail last night and a mess of Chukar nuggets this evening, those are the misses favorite.

noVCdik.jpg

dox5dpE.jpg

Midweek hunt in Minnesota. T-shirt weather in December was odd but welcomed. Sloughs had just enough ice to allow the birds more room to roam in the cattails.

E4B81EC6-DB2B-4A8D-823A-12EA68DEB131.jpeg

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
Kwabunga, How do those taste? Look like almost pheasant size.
I would say they're similar to pheasant, a bit more gamey, we usually soak in some kind of asian sauce then do the nuggets, flour and fry, sometimes ill do a simple salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic, olive oil and throw them on the grill.